JPO, Associate Expert in the Directorate of External Relations and Policy Research (EPR)
Junior Professional Officer Program (JPO)
I. GENERAL INFORMATION
Title: JPO, Associate Expert in the Directorate of External Relations and Policy Research (EPR)
Sector of Assignment: Department of External Relations (EPR/ETR/PMO), Directorate of External Relations and Policy Research (EPR)
Organization/Office: United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
Country and Duty Station: Vienna, Austria
Duration of assignment: 2 years with possibility of extension for another year (Extension of appointment is subject to yearly review concerning priorities, availability of funds, and satisfactory performance.)
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
UNIDO is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. Its mission is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in developing countries and economies in transition. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the recently adopted 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years. UNIDO’s mandate in SDG-9, calls for the need to “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation”. Accordingly, the Organization’s programmatic focus is structured in three thematic priorities: * Creating shared prosperity * Advancing economic competitiveness * Safeguarding the environment.
UNIDO delivers its services through the following four complementary and mutually supportive core functions: (a) technical cooperation activities; (b) analytical and policy advisory services; (c) standard-setting and compliance and (d) convening and partnership role.
Working in close collaboration with all organizational entities within UNIDO, the Department of External Relations (EPR/ETR) serves as the main channel of communication and interaction between Member States and the UNIDO Secretariat. It provides substantive, technical and logistic support to the policymaking organs as well as their inter-sessional working groups. The Department establishes, maintains, coordinates and monitors the Organization’s official contacts with Member and non-Member States, regional groups, and IGOs/NGOs, and establishes and maintains strategic and policy level relations with traditional donors, and is responsible for the identification of potential funding opportunities for technical cooperation and related activities of UNIDO from all sources as well as preparation, management and safekeeping of funding agreements. It also performs external relations functions, protocol duties and provides support services to the Vienna Chapter of G-77 and China.
The Junior Professional Officer (JPO) assignment will be task driven. He/she will work under the overall guidance of the Director of the Department of External Relations. The work plan will be prepared jointly by the Director and the JPO and will be updated periodically. Guidance will be provided on daily work outputs and they are monitored against tasks assigned and actually achieved.
The UNIDO Staff Performance Management System reinforces the collaboration within formal units as well as among cross-functional teams. In this context, the incumbent collaborates with his/her supervisor and colleagues, within as well as outside the unit. Within the formal teams, the incumbent may be expected to backstop other team members as required.
III. MAIN FUNCTIONS / KEY RESULTS EXPECTED
Specifically, the Junior Professional Officer will be expected to assist with the following tasks:
- Building of partnerships with Member States, NGO’s and other relevant external stakeholders.
- Develop an agenda-oriented framework for documentation issued to sessions of the policymaking organs (PMOs), ensuring that constitutional mandates as well as other mandates, directives and regulations are taken into account, and in preparing annotated agenda.
- Provide advice and guidance to management and Member States on activities in relation to the PMOs, thereby ensuring effective conduct of business of the legislative organs.
- Provide substantive and logistical support to officers of the PMOs prior to and during sessions, including preparations for meetings of the Enlarged Bureaux and the General Committee of the General Conference; act as journal editor; establish list of speakers prior to sessions and coordinate meetings of the Friends of the Rapporteur.
- Prepare reports of sessions of the PMOs; review contents of summary records of plenary sessions for issuance and make recommendations for follow-up actions.
- Other Special Projects: Perform other special projects and assignments as required by the Department and also beneficial for the development of the experience of the JPO/Associate Expert.
IV. REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
Technical: Solid computer skills, including proficiency in the use of MS Office programs.
Core Values: Integrity. Professionalism. Respect for Diversity.
Core Competencies: Results orientation and Accountability. Planning and Organizing. Communication and Trust. Team Orientation. Client Orientation. Organizational Development and Innovation.
MINIMUM ORGANIZATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Education: Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline with specialization in international relations, public or business administration, economics, law, communication or a related area.
Technical and Functional Experience: A minimum of 3 years of experience in a relevant field. Experience at the international level highly desirable. Knowledge of the factors that drive external relations, such as strategic communication, donor relations, marketing and branding, an asset.
Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Fluency and/or working knowledge of another official UN language, highly desirable.
V. LEARNING ELEMENTS
- On-the-job training, where the incumbent will learn by doing, under supervision and/or exposure to best practices in the area of interaction with Member States.
At the completion of the assignment, the incumbent should be in a position to:
- Understand the concepts of working with Government institutions and international organizations;
- Participate in relevant phases of the working process.
- Work effectively in a diverse and multi-cultural environment.
Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbung direkt an das Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO).
Alle Bewerbungsformalitäten unter www.bfio.de, Stichwort: Junior Professional Officer (JPO)
Media, communications, Medien/Kommunikation, Other specialisations, Sonstige Fachgebiete
Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Programm Beigeordnete Sachverständige - Beigeordnete Sachverständige (BS) sind international bekannt als Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), Associate Experts (AEs) oder Associate Professional Officers (APOs). …[mehr]