Stellenmarkt für Fachkräfte in der Entwicklungszusammenarbeit
JPO in Programme Management, Administration
I. General Information
Title: JPO in Programme Management, Administration
Sector of Assignment: Administration / Human Resources Management
Organization/Office: United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), Capacity Development Programme Management Office (CDPMO) / United Nations Junior Professionals Officer Programme Team
Country and Duty Station: New York, USA
Duration of assignment: 2 years with possibility of extension for another year.
The extension of appointment is subject to yearly review concerning priorities, availability of funds, and satisfactory performance.
Please note that for participants of the JPO-Programme two years work experience are mandatory! Relevant work experience can be counted. In order to assess the eligibility of the candidates, we review the relevant experience acquired after obtaining the first university degree (usually bachelor’s degree).
Title of Supervisor:
Human Resources Officer
Content and methodology of supervision:
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Chief of the UN JPO Programme, the incumbent will report to the Human Resources Officer of the UN JPO Programme.
Establishment of a Work Plan:
During the first months of the assignment, the Junior Professional Officer (JPO) will work jointly with his/her direct supervisor to finalize an agreed upon work plan. The final work plan will be discussed and mutually agreed to by the JPO and his/her supervisor.
Evaluation: The United Nations Performance Evaluation System (e-performance) will serve as a primary platform to evaluate of the JPO’s performance
III. Duties, Responsibilities and Output Expectations
The incumbent’s primary role will be to serve as Associate Administrative Officer/ Associate Programme Management Officer, managing defined aspects of the administration of the JPO Programme with a primary focus on JPO selections and recruitment.
The JPO will furthermore act as a focal point for the preparation, and organization of the next biennial meeting of National Recruitment Services and UN Organizations on the JPO Programmes; as well as monitoring the implementation of the recommendations issued during the previous Meeting.
The JPO is expected to progressively take on additional responsibilities in the 2nd year of assignment.
Specifically, the incumbent will perform the following functions:
JPO Programme Management/ Administration:
The JPO will
1. Facilitate the pre-recruitment and recruitment of JPOs, including communication with donor counterparts, reviewing job descriptions, screening applications and coordinating the different steps of the selection and on-boarding process;
2. Review and classify incoming Terms of References of JPO positions from client departments/offices
3. Post vacancy announcements, screen applications and short-list candidates on behalf of those donor countries that delegate the recruitment process to the JPO Programme;
4. Review shortlists provided by all donors to verify eligibility of candidates
5. Provide advisory services to client departments/ offices and to donors on matters pertaining to JPO post selection and JPO recruitment.
6. Provide guidance on onboarding procedures and the UN staff rules and regulations to JPOs under recruitment
7. Prepare and review cost estimates for JPO recruitments;
8. Organize periodic thematic briefings or networking events for JPOs on board
9. Maintain and Monitor the JPO Database and produce relevant reports as required;
10. Maintain relevant up to date information on the Programme website using a Content Management System;
11. Provide career development guidance to other JPOs
12. Regularly prepare and present information on the JPO Programme to different audiences, such as other JPOs, as well Programme Managers, Government and Interns during recruitment seminars or other events ;
13. Monitor and review HR administration and JPO position related activities in the Organization’s SAP system
14. Perform other functions in the framework of the Programme as required.
Organization of biennial Inter-Agency/Donor meeting
1. Support the organization of the 13th Meeting of National Recruitment Services and UN Organizations on the JPO Programmes (scheduled for spring 2021)
2. Develop the draft provisional agenda in consultation with government representatives and UN Organizations.
3. Solicit and coordinate with all donor and organization participants input for the meeting, such as presentations and discussion papers; negotiate participation of guest speakers.
4. Coordinate the infrastructural and technical set up of the meeting with the host government; coordinating logistic arrangements with the host government and disseminate relevant instructions to participants.
5. Contribute to the smooth overall running of the conference on site.
6. Serve as meeting Rapporteur; present the progress report on the previous meeting recommendations on the opening day of the session; formulate comprehensive notes of the sequence of events, presentations, and discussions throughout the meeting;
7. Follow up on meeting conclusions and recommendations related activities.
8. Draft meeting report upon completion of the meeting; ensure publication and dissemination on meeting report.
IV. Qualifications and Experience
Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Law, Human Resources Management, International Relations or in a related field.
At least 2 years of relevant professional experience in administration, preferably in an office in charge of recruitment and administration of personnel. Experience in providing advisory services to a wide range of clients would be an asset. Experience with financial management would be an advantage.
Experience with Access, Sharepoint, Wordpress and SAP based systems would be considered an asset.
English and French are the two working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position proficiency in written and oral English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
PROFESSIONALISM: Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations
PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently
CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
The United Nations believes that an inclusive culture attracts the best talent and encourages all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, disability, sexual orientation, cultural or religious backgrounds, to apply.
V. Learning Elements
On completion of the assignment, the JPO will have gained knowledge and acquired skills in:
Developing a sound knowledge of UN conditions of service and the UN staff rules and regulations;
Competency-based interviewing techniques;
Familiarity with the UN recruitment and administrative procedures;
Building and maintaining efficient working relationships with counterparts in Government departments and other international organizations/agencies;
Building collaborative client relations and provide advisory services to a wide range of counterparts on matters pertaining to the UN JPO Programme
Inter-agency meeting planning, coordination, and reporting;
Understanding and experience in using the UN Secretariat’s SAP-based ERP system
VI. Background Information
The Capacity Development Programme Management Office (CDPMO) supports the Department’s capacity development strategy and promotes coherence and integrated delivery of its capacity development work.
Its functions include providing support for the planning, programming, coordination, and evaluation of capacity development work; supporting knowledge management and communication; facilitating partnerships and resource mobilization; providing human resources and financial management services.
The JPO will work in the UN JPO Programme team within CDPMO. The UN JPO Programme in CDPMO manages the United Nations Secretariat JPO Programme, is servicing more than 35 client departments/offices and more than 25 active donor countries and approximately 300 JPOs at any given time. The UN JPO Programme recruits more than 100 new JPOs per year to be deployed across the globe.
Management of the JPO Programme includes a variety of activities, including donor relation and outreach, JPO position management; JPO selection and recruitment; administration of the JPO’s conditions of service throughout the life cycle of the JPO assignment, financial management, learning and development and career support as well as inter-agency coordination.
Bitte senden Sie Ihre JPO-Bewerbung direkt an das Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Alle Informationen finden Sie unter www.bfio.de
Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika
Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Programm Beigeordnete Sachverständige - Beigeordnete Sachverständige (BS) sind international bekannt als Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), Associate Experts (AEs) oder Associate Professional Officers (APOs). …[mehr]