Stellenmarkt für Fachkräfte in der Entwicklungszusammenarbeit
Junior Professional Officer
Job Title Junior Professional Officer
Division / Section Division of Enterprises and Institutions /Sustainable and Inclusive Value Chains Section (DEI/SIVC)
Duty station Geneva, Switzerland
Duration 2 years with possibility of extension for another year. The extension of appointment is subject to yearly review concerning priorities, availability of funds, and satisfactory performance.
Please note that for participants of the JPO-Programme two years work experience are mandatory! Relevant work experience can be counted. In order to assess the eligibility of the candidates, we review the relevant experience acquired after obtaining the first university degree (usually bachelor’s degree). Unpaid internships are not counted. Scholarships are not counted.
ORGANISATIONAL CONTEXT AND ORGANISATIONAL SETTING
The International Trade Centre (ITC) assists developing and transition economy countries to take advantage of expanding trade opportunities in an increasingly complex global environment. ITC supports Trade Impact for Good, promoting sustainable and inclusive development goals through trade.
The International Trade Centre (ITC) assists developing and transition countries to take advantage of expanding trade opportunities in an increasingly complex global environment. ITC supports ‘Trade Impact for Good’, promoting sustainable and inclusive development goals through trade.
The Sustainable & Inclusive Value Chains (SIVC) section ensures that MSMEs benefit from trade by working with all stakeholders to embed sustainability and inclusiveness in value chains. The section comprises two large programmes on sustainability, and trade and gender. The section has a range of projects working with multiple stakeholders, and has developed tools and methodologies for analysing markets and policies, strategic and operational research, assessing national trade performance, trade competitiveness and linkages between trade and development prospects.
The “Trade for Sustainable Development (T4SD) programme (T4SD) focuses on three objectives. First, it aims to provide comprehensive, accessible and comparable information on voluntary standards. Second, it aims to assess the effects of conventional and sustainable trade and production practices on socio-economic development and the environment. And third, it provides technical assistance for SMEs to build their capacity and knowledge to implement green business practices.
The main output of the programme has been the development of a web-based platform (www.sustainabilitymap.org) which centralises information on trade and sustainable development and makes information integrated, comparable and widely accessible. The web-based platform of the T4SD project integrates and disseminates information on voluntary standards and their impact and is therefore a key component in ITC’s strategic framework. In particular, the project contributes to global public goods for globally accessed solutions and enhances export capacity of producers and exporters from LDCs. ITC brings forward its expertise in gathering, organizing big amounts of data, disseminating trade intelligence and its significant experience in strengthening trade information services and networks in partner countries.
The goal of this job function is to support the T4SD Team with their various projects specifically with regard to voluntary sustainable standards (VSS) and social and environmental sustainability issues connected to global value chains.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall guidance of the Head, Trade for Sustainable Development and the direct supervision of the Senior Advisor, Trade for Sustainable Development the Junior Professional Officer will:
• Contributes to the improvement and implementation of the T4SD VSS Expert Approach and new technical approaches for environmental sustainability applicable to T4SD projects.
• Maintain, update and review information on voluntary sustainable standards in the Standards Map tool.
• Contributes to the implementation of the EU Cities for Fair and Ethical Trade project through co-drafting the Sustainable Trade Champions report and update of Award documents.
• Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Perform any other related duties as required.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES AND KNOWLEDGE
ITC’S VALUES are: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
ITC’S CORE COMPETENCIES are: Communication, Teamwork, Planning & Organizing, Accountability, Creativity, Client Orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Technological awareness.
CRITICAL JOB-SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
• Planning & Organizing
• Technical awareness
Mandatory knowledge and skills
• Knowledge of social and environmental sustainability issues and their relevance to global value chains
• Strong analytical skills
Desirable knowledge and skills
• Understanding of private voluntary standards
Master’s degree in business administration, economics, international trade or related field
A minimum of two years of progressively responsible, relevant professional experience in trade related technical assistance and sustainable development. Experience with voluntary standards, climate change and resource efficiency. Experience working in a developing country context would be desirable
Advanced knowledge of English. Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage.
Learnings will be significant across areas such as voluntary standards, and the implementation of concrete capacity building approaches in the areas of standards compliance, climate adaptation and resource efficiency. The junior professional officer will work as an integral part of a dynamic team empowered to drive solutions and impact with ITC beneficiaries.
The Senior Advisor, T4SD will provide direct supervision to the JPO while the Head, T4SD will provide overall guidance. The JPO will work within the T4SD Team of the SIVC Section in the DEI Division. The JPO will interact with other ITC sections, Donor agencies, UN organisations, universities, external consultants, research institutions, NGOs, private sector organisations and platforms, TSIs, among others
CONTRIBUTION TO GLOBAL GOALS FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT (SDGs)
Goal 2: Zero Hunger
- Double productivity and incomes of small-scale food producers, in particular women.
- Provide access to knowledge, markets and opportunities for value addition
- Ensure sustainable food production systems
Goal 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth
- Achieve higher levels of economic productivity through diversification technological upgrading and innovation.
- Promote policies that support productive activities, decent job creation, entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation.
- Encourage formalization and growth of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Implement policies to promote sustainable tourism that creates jobs and promotes local culture and products.
- Increase Aid for Trade Support.
Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
- Achieve sustainable management and efficient use of natural resources.
- Support companies in adopting sustainable practices and integrating sustainability information into their reporting cycles.
Goal 17: Partnership for the Goals
- Ensure a universal, rules-based, open, non-discriminatory and equitable multilateral trading system under WTO.
- Support significantly increased exports of developing countries, doubling the least developed countries’ share of global exports by 2020
- Realize timely implementation of duty-free and quota-free market access on a lasting basis for all least developed countries.
For more information: http://www.intracen.org/itc/goals/Global-Goals-for-Sustainable-Development/
Bitte senden Sie Ihre JPO-Bewerbung direkt an das Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Alle Informationen finden Sie unter www.bfio.de
Other specialisations, Sonstige Fachgebiete
Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Programm Beigeordnete Sachverständige - Beigeordnete Sachverständige (BS) sind international bekannt als Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), Associate Experts (AEs) oder Associate Professional Officers (APOs). …[mehr]