Stellenmarkt für Fachkräfte in der Entwicklungszusammenarbeit
Junior Professional Officer
Junior Professional Officer Program
Title: Junior Professional Officer
Agency: World Bank Group
Division/VPU: GIDD – Digital Development, Infrastructure Practice Group
Country and Duty Station: Washington DC, USA
Duration: 2 years with possibility of extension for another year The extension of appointment is subject to yearly review concerning priorities, availability of funds, and satisfactory performance.
Please note that for participants of the JPO-Programme three years work experience are mandatory when applying for the World Bank. Relevant work experience can be counted. In order to assess the eligibility of the candidates, we review the relevant experience acquired after obtaining the first university degree (usually bachelor’s degree).
The Digital Development global department seeks to connect people to goods, services, jobs, schools, hospitals, local, regional and international markets. Digital technologies can help in addressing some of the toughest development challenges: providing access to information, overcoming remoteness, exclusion, and disconnects, and offering economic opportunity. Yet, 3.5bn people lack access to the internet, creating a new digital divide and constituting a main hurdle to capturing digital dividends.
The global department seeks to bring digital solutions to all by expanding digital and complementary analog capabilities at national, sub-national and regional levels. This includes improving access and affordability to expand connectivity and by enabling the right policy and regulatory frameworks for a competitive ICT environment that will facilitate access to broadband for all. Effective telecom policy and regulations to support sector reform, as well as the deployment of new technologies and business models will contribute to ensuring broadband access for all. The World Bank is also supporting countries’ efforts on Public Private Partnership (PPP) frameworks and innovative business models to build international fiber linkages, fiber backbones, internet exchange points, and last mile connectivity particularly in rural areas.
The Digital Development global department furthermore facilitates the implementation of the Digital Economy for Africa (DE4A) flagship initiative. This initiative supports the digital transformation strategy for Africa prepared by the African Union (AU). The DE4A initiative recognizes that the digital economy can help accelerating the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the World Bank Group’s twin goals. It aims to digitally connect every person, business, and government in Africa by 2030 by accelerating improvements in five fundamental pillars of a digital economy: digital infrastructure, digital platforms, digital financial services, digital entrepreneurship and digital skills.
The Digital Development global department is seeking to recruit a highly qualified candidate for the position of Junior Professional Officer (JPO) with detailed knowledge of digital economy, digital transformation and development aspects. The position is based in Washington D.C., USA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The JPO will be involved in different tasks relating to World Bank work on the digital economy. These could either relate to the development of global knowledge on cutting-edge topics of the regulation of the digital sector or involve operational work with World Bank clients. Tasks could relate to one or several of the following areas:
- Advising clients on economic, investment and financial assessments, deployment options and relevant capacity development measures in the context of major policy decisions (e.g. design and implementation of a national digital strategy), digital platforms (e.g. payment, identity, place-based platforms) or major ICT investments (e.g. PPPs, strategic sourcing).
- Managing technical assistance activities and providing technical and strategic expertise in the range of policy, practice and implementation areas associated with digital platforms, data governance, innovative application of emerging technologies, service design and development; e-Government; digital solutions and whole of government/multi-sectoral integration and implementation, spanning digital and analog areas.
- Providing technical and contemporary advice on a range of digital and analog policy, regulatory and change management issues to promote efficiency, effectiveness and transparency in public service delivery and to help client countries revise and develop suitable institutional and agile regulatory frameworks for the development and implementation of a digital agenda spanning Digital Economy, Connectivity, Digital Government and Digital Society, Digital Innovation and the ICT sector, including the National Digital Transformation policy and strategy documents or plans, and measurement of progress.
- Developing and managing policy dialogue with senior officials of client countries to develop innovative, inclusive and practical approaches on digital strategies and digital/ ICT sector policy, asset management, social, governance and institutional issues, including gender-sensitivity.
- Engaging and supporting Country Management Units (CMUs) to understand and advance the adoption of digital delivery policies and practice by providing necessary advice on cross-sectoral issues and liaising with colleagues working in other sectors (including transport, urban, governance, education, entrepreneurship etc.) on Digital/ICT policy and practice matters as well as the complementary analog change areas of skills, institutional and enabling environment regulations to enhance the quality and success of project design and implementation.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders, organize and manage consultative meetings and workshops, and provide both operational and advocacy support to high level meetings on digital related issues.
- Facilitate the strengthening and institutionalization of the digital development community of practices, while ensuring coordination of cross-country exchanges, supporting communication and knowledge sharing outreach to development partners.
The selected candidate will not be assigned to programs involving his/her own government such as donor coordination and trust fund management.
- Master’s Degree in a technical field such as telecom regulation or regulation of the digital economy, or social science such as economics, business management, political science or international relations.
- Demonstrated understanding of digital issues is essential. Specific knowledge in area of digital transformation, technology applications, data governance, or social innovation is an asset.
- A minimum of three years related professional experience.
- Experience in Bank operations and/or project management in the ICT unit would be an advantage. Strong organizational, research, and oral presentation skills.
- Work experience in developing countries is an asset.
- Understanding of the WBG, including Germany’s engagement with the WBG.
- Strong computer skills; proven ability to use standard technology packages e.g. Word, Lotus notes, Power Point, Internet, Access, Excel, etc.
- Proven ability to work in a team and intercultural environment, with minimal supervision.
- Hands-on and action-oriented approach.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, strong knowledge of French or Spanish is a plus.
- Enthusiasm for, and commitment to development work.
- Willing to travel to remote areas across the six World Bank regions as necessary.
- Field experience in low income countries a plus.
Bitte senden Sie Ihre JPO-Bewerbung direkt an das Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Alle Informationen finden Sie unter www.bfio.de
Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika
Other specialisations, Sonstige Fachgebiete
Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Programm Beigeordnete Sachverständige - Beigeordnete Sachverständige (BS) sind international bekannt als Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), Associate Experts (AEs) oder Associate Professional Officers (APOs). …[mehr]