Stellenmarkt für Fachkräfte in der Entwicklungszusammenarbeit
Junior Professional Officer (JPO), Regional Analyst
I. Position Information
Title: Junior Professional Officer (JPO), Regional Analyst
Main sector of assignment: Sustainable human development and SDGs
Department: Regional Bureau for Arab States
Country and Duty Station: Amman, Jordan (1st year)/ New York, USA (2nd year)
Duty Station Status: Family Duty Station (staff member and eligible family members)
Duration and Type of Assignment: 2 years with possibility of extension for another year. The extension of appointment is subject to yearly review concerning priorities, availability of funds, and satisfactory performance
Please note that for participants of the JPO-Programme two years work experience are mandatory! Relevant work experience can be counted. In order to assess the eligibility of the candidates, we review the relevant experience acquired after obtaining the first university degree (usually bachelor’s degree).
II.Job Purposeand Organizational Context
Anchored in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and in line with the priorities outlined in the UNDP Strategic Plan, the Regional Bureau for Arab States (RBAS) supports the Arab States region to achieve sustainable development by eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, accelerating structural transformations for sustainable development, and building resilience to crises and shocks. Within this work the Regional Bureau for Arab States responds to needs across development settings including Least Developed Countries, Middle Income Countries, Net Contributor Countries and countries affected by crisis, with a view to support the building of resilience, fight climate change, leverage the promise of innovation, and prioritize the advance of women, youth and vulnerable groups as part of its commitment to the principles of universality, equality and leaving no one behind in an increasing challenging regional context which has been severely impacted by the recent COVID-19 crisis.
The assignment will have a regional and HQ component where the Regional Analyst will start his/her assignment with the RBAS Regional Hub in Amman and rotate to the RBAS at UNDP Headquarters in New York during the second part of the JPO assignment.
Amman Regional Hub
The RBAS Regional Hub is located in Amman, Jordan focusing on providing policy and operational support to 17 country offices in region. The Hub also hosts the regional programme focusing helping Arab countries
reduce vulnerability and fragility, accelerate structural transformations for sustainable development, and build peaceful and resilient societies within the overall Strategic Plan of UNDP and in support of the SDGs.
As part of its work the regional hub is producing analytic studies and policy papers on the trends in the region and beyond in support of the work at county and regional level. This work in carried out in close coordination with other UN agencies, regional research organizations and universities as relevant and serves as key flagship publications in the region with a view to influence policy and inform country operations.
The Regional Analyst supports the various thematic teams and the regional programme located in the Amman Hub under the overall guidance of the Chief, Country Office Support Deputy Manager, Regional Hub, The work of the regional analyst will focus on analysis on key socio-economic trends in the region with an emphasis on sustainability and climate change in the medium and long term and the impact on vulnerable groups – especially women and youth. The Regional Analyst will further work closely with the innovation team on harvesting lessons learned from the use of innovative approaches to data collection and analysis with the Acc Labs and how these have helped inform policy and programme development as well as the day to day support to COs.
RBAS New York
The Regional Bureau is providing oversight and support to 17 country offices The JPO position in New York is located in the Regional Bureau for Arab States (RBAS) Desk Team. The Desk team provides oversight and coordinated support to Country Offices in the Arab States region and manages internal and external partnerships at Headquarters including strategic positioning. The Desk Team works closely with all other UNDP Bureaus and the Regional Hub to ensure coherent and timely support to Country Offices. The Country Office portfolio includes: Algeria, Djibouti, Libya, Morocco, Somalia, Sudan, Tunisia, and Yemen.
The Regional Analyst provides technical support to RBAS strategic oversight over Country Office (COs) and regional programmes as well as coordinated support to COs and RBAS in their representation in New York. The Regional Analyst works closely with the innovation team to further the advancement of the UNDP Accelerator Labs and to support UNDP’s response to COVID in the Region. S/He monitors and analyses development trends, activities and evaluation results in the COs and sub-region within his/her portfolio and offers substantive recommendations to inform future corporate decisions and enhance CO, sub-regional and regional programming results and performance. S/He provides substantive support to RBAS coordination and representation on complex development and crises issues by proactively engaging with internal and external stakeholders, across the UN system preparing first drafts of briefing notes and positioning papers and reviewing the quality, completeness and relevance of information provided by relevant parties. S/He also engages with the CO support team on New York based partnership and resource mobilization opportunities and enhances knowledge capture and management across the Regional Bureau and the UN system and is closely involved at the CO level and corporately in supporting UNDP’s effort to respond to the unprecedented COVID-19 crisis in the Region in close collaboration with the Amman Regional Hub. S/he will report to the Regional Adviser.
Supervisor Amman regional Hub
Title of supervisor: Chief, Country Office Support Deputy Manager, Regional Hub
Supervisor RBAS NY
Title of Supervisor: Regional Adviser
Content and methodology of supervision:
As part of the UNDP JPO programme overall framework, the JPO will benefit from the following supervision modalities:
- Structured guidance provided by the supervisor, especially in the beginning of the assignment, with the purpose of gradually increasing the responsibilities of the JPO
- Establishment of a work plan, with clear key results
- Effective supervision through knowledge sharing and performance/development feedback throughout the assignment
- Easy access to the supervisor
- Participation in Unit/Team/Office meetings to ensure integration and operational effectiveness
- As RBAS is working closely with the Development Coordination Office (DCO), Department of Peace Operations (DPO), the Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA), and the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), the JPO will get an excellent overview over how UNDP works across UN system in crises countries and complex development settings
- Guidance and advice in relation to learning and training opportunities within the field of expertise
- Completion of the yearly UNDP Performance Management Document (PMD)
- Opportunity for a detailed assignment to support on of the Country Offices first hand on the ground and/or work in Amman Regional Hub that provides policy support to COs in the areas SDG achievements, livelihoods support, Climate Change, Governance and conflict prevention, Rule of Law etc.
III. Duties and Responsibilities and Output expectations
Amman Regional Hub
- Support overall socio -economic analysis in the region with a special emphasis on vulnerable groups, the impact of climate change and Leave No One Behind in the strive towards safeguarding the progress towards Agenda 2030 and the SDGs within a an increasing challenging regional context severely impacted by the recent COVID-19 crisis;
- Lead tracking of potential multi-year research agenda in the region, including keeping track of emerging regional programme and CO knowledge products and opportunities to collaborate with the wider UN family working on similar topics;
- Provide support as needed to ongoing studies in form of background research, consolidating of sources and mapping of new and emerging studies and research on relevant issues within various country contexts (crisis, MICs, NCCs);
- Liaise closely with the SDG integration team and follow corporate policy discussions as assigned, including represent regional Hub in relevant online discussions forums on selected topics;
- Engage actively with the innovation team and support consolidation of lesson learned from the mainstreaming of the Accelerator Labs within the wider CO portfolio and contribute to developing future transformative initiatives within the region in support of the targets set out in Agenda 2030 and the SDGs;
- Support liaison with the desk team in NY on planning and implementation of policy support in the region through close liaison with the thematic teams (climate change, gender, livelihoods, rule of law and governance, innovation and SDGs etc.) on new emerging initiatives in support of implementation in various country context and development situations;
- Support the overall work of the Directorate and country support team in the Amman Hub including providing substantive inputs to policy briefs and corporate processes, such as annual work planning and reporting as well development of country programme documents and partnerships and communications strategy and action plan (PCAP).
- Regional Strategic Performance Oversight
- Provide support to the preparation of Country Programme Document (CPD) and CO programming within portfolio to assess the quality of UNDP positioning and translation of corporate strategy into the programme, especially responding to the unprecedented COVID and economic crises. Provide recommendations to the Regional Adviser and CO support Team for improved positioning in programme documents. Support the Bureau leadership in the approval for the CPD, including HQ PAC and related discussions and negotiations with Permanent Missions.
- Enhance effective, proactive and targeted representation & coordination support to COs
- Provide support to research on CO and sub-regional level issues by engaging with external stakeholders and policy teams and conduct desk research, track and analyze emerging and evolving crisis and complex development situations, identify critical issues for UNDP programming and provide substantive conceptual, programme and policy support to COs with Amman Regional Hub;
- Coordinate with and support Country Offices in the design and implementation of Vertical Funds, notably, the Global Environment Facility (GEF), the The Green Climate Fund (GCF) and the Global Fund to fight HIV/AIDS, Malaria and Tuberculosis. (Currently, UNDP is implementing projects worth approx. $150 million in Vertical Funds in the Region).
- Coordinate preparatory activities, liaising with stakeholders in the advance of crisis coordination meetings in order to influence positioning and development of common perspective. Prepare minutes from the meetings and follow-up on action points with all relevant stakeholders.
- Keep an up-to-date library of knowledge on CO and sub-regional portfolio, proactively sharing documents with team members and responding to their specific requests for information.
Enhance Partnership and external relations
- Participate in relevant external meetings, including resource mobilization, partnership and advocacy activities with UN partners, permanent missions and external stakeholders
- Contribute to UNDP-led crises and recovery-related resource mobilizations efforts in close coordination with relevant units by drafting substantive inputs on the CO and sub-regional context for proposals and technical presentations to donors and external partners
IV. Competencies and Selection Criteria
Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Delivery: Ability to get things done
Knowledge of PM and M&E concepts, principles and policies and the ability to apply in strategic and/or practical situations
Knowledge Management: Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
Partnerships and Resource Mobilization : Ability to conduct partnerships related research and contribute to donor outreach
V. Recruitment Qualifications
Education: Master’s Degree in a related field of expertise
1. A minimum of two years of paid working experience in a relevant field
2. Good writing and analytical skills
3. Knowledge and relevant work experience in the region is and asset
4. Experience in crisis context programming is an asset
• Working knowledge of English
• Knowledge of French or Arabic is an asset
Other desirable education, languages and work experience:
• Required computer skills in a standardized language
• Any required certifications
• Any required training
VI. Training and Learning
As part of the UNDP JPO programme overall framework, the JPO will benefit from the following training and learning opportunities:
• Participation in a two-week long Programme Policy and Operations Induction Course in New York within the first 3 to 6 months of assignment
• Use of yearly JPO duty-related travel and training allocation (DTTA), as per the online DTTA guide
• Other training and learning opportunities, as presented in the UNDP JPO Orientation Programme
In addition, the JPO will benefit from the following specific training and learning modalities/opportunities in the receiving office: UNDP’s mandatory and voluntary trainings courses online and access to UNDP web-based learning platform
VII. Background Information
Information on the receiving office: The Regional Bureau for Arab States (RBAS) seeks to promote and advance the Sustainable Development Goals in the Arab region with strong emphasis placed on addressing the main impediments to human development as identified by the Arab Human Development Report series, namely freedom and good governance, knowledge, and women’s empowerment.
It implements development programmes in 17 Arab countries and the occupied Palestinian territory, ensuring quality programming, results-based management and effective resource mobilization strategies.
Bitte senden Sie Ihre JPO-Bewerbung direkt an das Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Alle Informationen finden Sie unter www.bfio.de
Humanitäre Hilfe, Humanitarian aid
Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Programm Beigeordnete Sachverständige - Beigeordnete Sachverständige (BS) sind international bekannt als Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), Associate Experts (AEs) oder Associate Professional Officers (APOs). …[mehr]