Junior Professional Officer (JPO)
WMO - World Meteorological Organization – Junior Professional Officer Programme (JPO)
I. General Information
Title: Junior Professional Officer
Organization: WMO - World Meteorological Organization
Sector of Assignment: WMO Integrated Global Observing System (WIGOS)
Office: WIGOS Project Office
Title of Supervisor: WIGOS Project Manager
Country and Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Duration: 2 years with possibility of extension for another year. (Please note that the extension of appointment is subject to yearly review concerning priorities, availability of funds, and satisfactory performance.)
Please note that for participants of the JPO-Programme two years work experience are mandatory!
Under the supervision of the WIGOS Project Manager and in collaboration with colleagues from the WIGOS Project Office, the OBS Department and other entities in the WMO Secretariat support the further development and implementation of the WMO Integrated Global Observing System (WIGOS), with special emphasis on one or more of the following tasks (depending on interest and expertise):
- Development of data analysis and data visualization tools for the WIGOS station database (OSCAR/Surface), and the WIGOS Data Quality Monitoring System (WDQMS).
- Technical support for the operational uptake of the machine to machine interface between national station databases and OSCAR/Surface.
- Technical support for the operational implementation of WIGOS Station Identifiers.
- Participate in reviews and assessments of national observing capabilities against documented WMO and GCOS requirements.
- Support the development of education and training programs, including e-learning modules for WIGOS implementation.
- Help organize and participate in training events related to OSCAR and WDQMS, both in Geneva and on-site at various National Meteorological and Hydrological Services.
- Help develop communication and outreach material related to WIGOS, including, documents, Powerpoint presentations, posters, videos, etc.
III. Qualifications required
MSc or Master’s Degree from a recognized university or technical institute in meteorology, physics, engineering, computer science or other relevant field of study, preferably with some exposure to or interest in earth science.
2-3 years of experience in one or more of the following areas: Weather, climate or air pollution observations or observing systems, statistics, data analysis, data visualization, GIS, data management, communication of science, data policy for scientific data.
Ability to effectively and efficiently work with Microsoft Office applications. Good communication skills. Ability to work efficiently in a multicultural environment. Interest in societal, technical and policy-related issues pertaining to weather and climate observations.
Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written). Knowledge of other official languages of WMO would be an advantage. (The working languages of the WMO Secretariat are English and French. The official languages of the organization are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.)
Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbung direkt an das Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO).
Alle Bewerbungsformalitäten unter www.bfio.de, Stichwort: Junior Professional Officer (JPO)
Bildung/Berufsbildung, Education, vocational education, Other specialisations, Sonstige Fachgebiete
Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Programm Beigeordnete Sachverständige - Beigeordnete Sachverständige (BS) sind international bekannt als Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), Associate Experts (AEs) oder Associate Professional Officers (APOs). …[mehr]