UN-HABITAT - JPO, Associate Policy Officer
POSITION: JPO, Associate Policy Officer
SECTION: Office of the Executive Director
LOCATION: UN-Habitat Headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya
DURATION: 2 years with possible extension for another year
Please note that for participants of the JPO-Programme two years work experience are mandatory!
The Office of the Executive Director (OED) is responsible for providing the overall direction on the effective and efficient implementation of the work of UN-Habitat. It coordinates interactions with Member States, United Nations offices, programmes, funds, agencies and other partners in the System-wide implementation of the Habitat Agenda, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and other relevant mandates.
DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTED OUTPUT
- Contributes to the preparation of various written documents, e.g. drafts sections of studies, background papers, policy guidelines, strategy documents and documents to be submitted to intergovernmental bodies, etc.
- Develops and maintains reference/resource information on specific topics or policy-related issues;
- Responds to various internal and external inquiries and information requests;
- Assists in the provision of substantive support to intergovernmental bodies;
- Analyses information contained in communications and publications received from different sources;
- Researches and drafts briefing notes, background papers and talking points;
- Prepares summaries of meetings and drafts a variety of correspondence;
- Tracks project progress using information technologies to provide project management tools and reporting;
- Performs other related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
Education: Master’s Degree in political science, international relations, international economics, law, public administration or other related area is required.
Work Experience: A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in
political science, international relations, international economics, law, public
administration or other related.
Languages: English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For
this position, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN
official language is an advantage.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of the work of the United Nations and its related bodies concerned with political, economic, social and related matters. Ability to research and use data to provide guidance in relation to the work of the United Nations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology
The post is located in the Office of the Executive Director, in Nairobi. The JPO will be
under the direct supervision of the Senior Strategic Coordination Officer.
The JPO will undertake official missions related to her/his work programme in different
cities for, e.g., guidelines and tool application and training purposes. In most cases,
funds can be made available through project sources. It is desirable for the JPO to
participate in at least one relevant international conference per year.
TRAINING AND LEARNING ELEMENTS
The JPO will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of training courses provided
by the Human Resources Management Service (HRMS) of the United Nations Office of
Nairobi (UNON). The courses include language courses in all United Nations
languages, computer training, management courses, etc. The JPO will have the
opportunities for on-the-job training in the management and administration of a United
Nations programme. The JPO should attend at least one international
conference/workshop/seminar per year on a relevant topic and s/he will be exposed to international and local best practices in his field of work, thus expanding her/his
understanding of development issues related to urban policies and urban planning.
Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbung direkt an das Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO).
Bewerbungsformalitäten unter www.bfio.de
Stichwort: Junior Professional Officer (JPO)
Administration, management, Economic and employment promotion, Health, social security, Humanitäre Hilfe, Humanitarian aid, Other specialisations, Sonstige Fachgebiete, Verwaltung/Management, Wasser-/Abfallwirtschaft/Umwelt/Ressourcen, Water and waste management, environment, resources
Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Programm Beigeordnete Sachverständige - Beigeordnete Sachverständige (BS) sind international bekannt als Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), Associate Experts (AEs) oder Associate Professional Officers (APOs). …[mehr]