UN WOMEN - JPO, Programme Analyst
Title: Junior Professional Officer, Programme Analyst
Sector of Assignment: Office of the Deputy Executive Director Assistant-Secretary General, Coordination Normative and Programme Results
Organization/Office: UN WOMEN
Duty Station: New York, USA
Duration of assignment: 2 years with possibility of extension for another year
Please note that the extension of appointment is subject to yearly review concerning priorities, availability of funds, and satisfactory performance.
Work experience: Please note that for participants of the JPO-Programme two years work experience are mandatory! Relevant internships are counted if they are remunerated. It should be a regular salary. The salary may be low, but a token payment is not considered a salary in this regard. If a doctorate/scholarship is relevant for the position and remunerated, it can be included as work experience.
Title of Supervisor: Senior Advisor to the ASG for Coordination Normative and Programme Results
Content and methodology of supervision: As part of the UNDP JPO programme overall framework, the JPO will benefit from the following supervision modalities:
- Structured guidance provided by the supervisor, especially in the beginning of the assignment, with the purpose of gradually increasing the responsibilities of the JPO.
- Mentoring and coaching to support the Office the ASG Assistant-Secretary General, Coordination Normative and Programme Results UN-Women.
- Establishment of a work plan, with clear key results and milestones, progress tracked through monthly meetings.
- Effective supervision through knowledge sharing and performance/development feedback throughout the assignment.
- Easy access to the supervisor.
- Guidance and advice in relation to learning and training opportunities within the field of expertise.
- Completion of the yearly UN Women Performance Management and Development (PMD) system.
Completion of the yearly UN Women Performance Management and Development (PMD) evaluation system.
III. Duties, Responsibilities and Output Expectations:
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support the Deputy Executive Director (DED) in the performance of and day-to-day management of the DED’s Office (40%)
- Provide specific support to the DED in his duties related to UN Coordination, including with a specific emphasis on UN Development System Reform processes and corporate Annual Work Planning (20%)
- Conduct research, analysis and organization of information related to key projects/initiatives under the Deputy Executive Director´s portfolio. (20%)
- Support the DED in leveraging social media and other communications platforms to raise awareness of and drive high-level advocacy on key priorities for the advancement of gender equality and women’s empowerment (20%).
1. Support the DED in performance of and day-to-day management of DED´s Office:
- Conduct identification, research, analysis and/or organization of information and briefing materials for the DED’s participation in meetings and key events
- Coordinate Briefing Note (BN) requests and inputs for the DED’s participation in key events and missions, and oversee the administration the BN system
- Support the DED’s strategic scheduling; evaluating and keeping track of important events and engagements and providing advice of priorities and critical meetings requiring his presence ensuring necessary arrangements for his participation, including the preparation and quality assurance of background papers
- As required, support the DED’s participation in official engagements ensuring communication with all relevant business units in UN-Women, determine if adequate representation is present and ensure all protocol arrangements are in place
- Assist in the follow up of meetings and corporate initiatives, including the preparation of notes and minutes as appropriate.
2. Provide specific support to the DED with his duties related to UN Coordination (including the UNDS reform) and Annual Work Planning:
- Support the DED’s office in oversight and coordination of UN-Women’s participation in UNSDG instances
- Support the DED’s office in oversight and coordination in relation to ongoing UNDS reform processes
- Support the DED’s office in preparation and oversight of Annual Work Plans
3. Conduct research, analysis and organization of information related to key projects/initiatives under the Deputy Executive Director´s portfolio:
- Support DED’s Office in coordination of commemoration of Beijing +25
- Undertake research as required, for papers and analytic studies on policy issues pertaining to women´s right, gender equality and women´s empowerment;
4. Support the DED in levering social media and other communications platforms to
raise awareness of and drive high-level advocacy on key priorities for the advancement of gender equality and women´s empowerment
- In consultation with the Special Advisor and the Special Assistant, maintain the DED’s social media profile (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Develop targeted substantive messaging for the DED’s public appearances and mission travel
IV. Qualifications and Experience:
Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Economics, Development Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field.
A minimum of two years of relevant experience in gender equality, research and analysis.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Good planning, goal-setting and prioritization and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral. Excellent drafting skills with the ability to edit and prepare draft documents, papers, correspondence
- Strong sense of responsibility, confidentiality and accountability
- Ability to work in teams under pressure as well as carry out tasks independently
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively liaise with internal and external parties
- Ability to research linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration;
- Good judgement and strategic analytical skills;
- Initiative to generate new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new,more effective ways of doing things;
- Proficiency in written and oral English.
V. Learning Expectations:
Upon completion of the assignment, the JPO will have / be able to…
- Increased knowledge of UN Coordination mechanisms
- Increased knowledge or UN organizational and strategic planning
- Increased substantive knowledge of UNDS Reform
As part of the JPO programme overall framework, the JPO will benefit from the following training and learning opportunities:
- Participation in a UN Women Induction Course in New York within the first 3 to 6 months of assignment
- Use of yearly JPO duty-related travel and training allocation (DTTA)
- UN Women mandatory and required courses related to the professional role and other training and learning opportunities available.
- UN Coordination
- Gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Results based management with an emphasis on women’s rights, gender equality and economic empowerment of women.
VI. Background Information:
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender
mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The Assistant-Secretary General, and Deputy Executive Director for Coordination, Normative and Programme Results provides leadership and oversight to the Programme, Policy, inter-governmental, Coordination and Civil Society Divisions at UN Women.
Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbung direkt an das Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO).
Bewerbungsformalitäten unter www.bfio.de
Stichwort: Junior Professional Officer (JPO)
Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika
Administration, management, Economic and employment promotion, Other specialisations, Sonstige Fachgebiete, Verwaltung/Management, Wasser-/Abfallwirtschaft/Umwelt/Ressourcen, Water and waste management, environment, resources, Wirtschafts-/Beschäftigungsförderung
Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Programm Beigeordnete Sachverständige - Beigeordnete Sachverständige (BS) sind international bekannt als Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), Associate Experts (AEs) oder Associate Professional Officers (APOs). …[mehr]