UNHCR - JPO, Associate Inter-Agency Officer, DER
Title: Associate Inter-Agency Officer
Department: Inter-Agency Coordination Service, Division of External Relations (DER)
Country and Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Duration of assignment: 2 years with possibility of extension for another year Please note that the extension of appointment is subject to yearly review concerning priorities, availability of funds, and satisfactory performance.
Please note that for participants of the JPO-Programme two years work experience are mandatory!
The Inter-Agency Coordination Service (IACS) is part of the Division of External Relations and supervised by the Director of the Division. The Service works closely with the functional divisions and regional bureaux, the Excutive Office, LONY and Offices of the Assistant High Commissioners and Deputy High Commissioner to coordinate and develop UNHCR's institutional positions and policies on inter-agency matters on humanitarian and development issues and strategically positioning UNHCR in inter-agency and multilateral fora. IACS serves as focal point and coordinator for the following inter agency areas: Humanitarian focus: Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) and Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), among others;
Development focus: United Nations Development Group (UNDG) and, as required Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs); Chief Executives Board for Coordination (CEB); coordinating the High Level Committee on Management (HLCM) and High Level Committee on Programmes (HLCP), as well as prepare UNHCR's participation in CEB meetings; and other inter-agency and multi-lateral processes, as relevant. In addition, IACS supports various subject matter experts on inter-agency dimensions and implications for thematic issues such as cash based interventions, IDP operational response and coordination, humanitarian development nexus. The overall aim of IACS is to ensure UNHCR is focused and strategic in its internal consultations on inter-agency affairs, and coherent and articulate on its external advocacy.
The JPO will be under the direct supervision of the Head of the Inter-Agency Coordination Service. The supervisor will be responsible for the performance evaluation of the JPO. The manager will also ensure that the JPO is provided a thorough induction and orientation briefing, followed by on-the-job training as well as continuous guidance for training/learning opportunities throughout the assignment. In support to the manager, the JPO Unit provides the Supervisory Guidelines upon recruitment/ reassignment of the JPO.
- quality briefs, agendas, reports on meetings to high degree of completion;
- timely completion of strategic and analytic reports;
- inter-agency partners, stakeholders informed, briefed and contacted in a timely manner in response to queries or as outreach from UNHCR on particular issues or initiatives;
- bureaux, divisions informed, briefed in a timely manner on key inter-agency initiatives and processes;
- cultivate and maintain relations with key internal and external interlocutors
- Pursue liaison activities both in-house, with all the Divisions and Bureaux, as well as with external stakeholders such as UN agencies, IASC member organizations, non-governmental and intergovernmental organizations, in order to promote inter-agency relations and ensure that UNHCR’s concerns and interests are understood and reflected;
- Undertake primary analysis and collate available information on issues/topics of interest to UNHCR, to formulate the initial drafts of UNHCR institutional positions on a range of topics relevant to the inter-agency fora;
- Assist in the preparation and coordination of UNHCR participation at a wide range of interagency meetings, to ensure appropriate knowledge and coverage of relevant fora.
- Prepare and collate comments on reports emanating from various United Nations and other intergovernmental fora and ensure that UNHCR’s positions are reflected.
- Represent UNHCR in inter-agency meetings; assist in the coordination and implementation of on-going initiatives and activities undertaken with other IASC members.
- Assist in responding as appropriate to requests by offices in the field and at global level providing information on inter-agency issues
- Cultivate, promote and maintain relations and parternship, at appropriate level with colleagues and inter-agency partners;
- Participate on behalf of Head of Inter-Agency Coordination Service / DER within UNHCR and respresent UNHCR at external meetings at relevant fora, and at appropriate level;
- Prepare draft position papers for consideration by Head of Inter-Agency Coordination Service and IACS team respectively
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Analytic Thinking
- Planning and Organization
- Policy Development and Research
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Education/Qualification: Master’s degree in Development Studies, Political Science or International Relations.
Work Experience: Preferably two to three years operational field work experience with humanitarian or development programmes; voluntary humanitarian / community work experience.
- The incumbent must have an excellent command of English (both oral and written);
- drafting skills and strong networking and interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence;
- cultural awareness;
- Knowledge of French or another UN language is desirable.
- Helpful if the incumbent has a general understanding of the UN system, of humanitarian work, and/or work experience with other agencies and NGOs.
- Essential: English
- Desirable: French or other official UN language
TRAINING COMPONENTS AND LEARNING ELEMENTS
- Mandatory training courses:
1. Basic Security in the Field (NB: needs to be retaken every 3 years)
2. Advanced Security in the Field (NB: needs to be retaken every 3 years)
3. Protection Induction Programme (PIP)
4. UN Course on Harassment, Sexual Harassment and Abuse of Authority
5. Orientation to IPSAS
Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbung direkt an das Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO).
Bewerbungsformalitäten unter www.bfio.de
Stichwort: Junior Professional Officer (JPO)
Administration, management, Economic and employment promotion, Other specialisations, Sonstige Fachgebiete, Verwaltung/Management, Wirtschafts-/Beschäftigungsförderung
Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Programm Beigeordnete Sachverständige - Beigeordnete Sachverständige (BS) sind international bekannt als Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), Associate Experts (AEs) oder Associate Professional Officers (APOs). …[mehr]