Stellenmarkt für Fachkräfte in der Entwicklungszusammenarbeit
English Teacher (f/m)
Country, Place: Lusaka, Zambia
Partner Organisation: Pakachele Primary School
Duration: 2 – 3 years
Start of assignment: summer 2021
Zambia belongs to the group of the poorest countries in the world (HDI 141/187). Therefore, most of the population lives in tough situations without sufficient access to health care, education, social welfare and protection of their rights. 66.2% of the population is below the age of 25 years, education is therefore a key factor for development. Many families in Zambia cannot afford to send their children to school. Community Schools like Pakachele are therefore playing an essential role for disadvantaged children and youth. The Primary School offers orphaned and vulnerable children in Ng’ombe compound and surrounding areas schooling up to Grade 9, empowering them with life skills and giving them nutritious food, medical and psychosocial care. Furthermore, Pakachele offers two special needs classes.
Your activities / tasks
As a co-worker of Comundo you will contribute to improving the access and quality of educational opportunities for all within the country programme of Comundo in Zambia. You primarily support the teachers of Pakachele to build up their skills in the field of education, also for children with special needs, with a focus on literacy and English (reading, writing and speaking English). You plan, organise and carry out in-service teacher training, workshops and classroom observations. You support the implementation of a peer-feedback system and you develop a 1:1 in-service training system (e.g. teaching manual). You do research and networking in order to develop a teacher in-service tool that can be used to train new teachers.
This is how you contribute that the literacy levels are improving and children are well prepared for the time after Grade 9, including strong self-confidence and resilience.
- Qualification as an English teacher / English as a second language teacher
- Experience in teaching literacy
- Experience in teaching children with learning difficulties
- Experience in teacher training desirable
- Willingness to learn a local language
- Completed vocational or tertiary education
- At least 2 years of professional experience
- Between 25 and 60 years old.
- Resident in Switzerland or Germany
- Very good knowledge of the national language of the country of assignment
- Intercultural competences and the ability to act in diverse contexts
- Good physical and mental health
- Basic knowledge in project management, institutional development and adult education welcome
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- High social competences and intercultural sensitivity
- You are motivated to live a simple lifestyle
- You are prepared to contribute to public relations and fundraising
- An exciting working environment with an ample space for initiative, participation and intercultural contacts
- An adequate preparation
- Introduction to the situation of the country of assignment and local support
- Living and insurance costs during your assignment
- Travelling costs in both directions
- Initial financial aid after your return
Before submitting a written application, we recommend that you contact Comundo and attend an information event in your region. This will provide you with more detailed information about the application procedure, the working conditions, the working culture and benefits. You will find the respective dates as well as more information on our website: www.comundo.org or contact Theres Höchli, email@example.com.
Comundo vermittelt und begleitet Fachleute in Einsätze nach Afrika und Lateinamerika und ist die führende Schweizer Organisation der Personellen Entwicklungszusammenarbeit (PEZA). Die Zusammenarbeit mit lokalen Partnerorganisation trägt zur nachhaltigen Verbesserung der Lebensbedingungen vor Ort bei.…[mehr]