Advisor (m/f) Knowledge Management
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The New York Declaration for Refugees and Migrants (New York Declaration), adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in September 2016, is aimed at improving the way in which the international community responds to large movements of refugees and migrants. In the New York Declaration, the General Assembly set out the key elements of a Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF), that is designed to ease pressures on countries hosting large numbers of refugees, to enhance refugee self-reliance, to expand access to third-country solutions, and to support conditions in countries of origin for return in safety and dignity. With support from UNHCR and partners, the CRRF is currently rolled-out in a range countries and regions hosting large numbers of refugees. One of the roll-out countries is Uganda, where a coordination structure and CRRF Secretariat has been created.
Based on the New York Declaration and its commitment to support refugees, IDPs and host communities, the German Federal Ministry on Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is planning to support the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) of Uganda in facilitating the government-led roll-out of the CRRF, by strengthening the CRRF Secretariat in Uganda through a staff secondment of an international knowledge management specialist.
The person seconded to the OPM will work directly with the Government of Uganda, and will be based in the CRRF Secretariat. The seconded person shall be accountable to the Representative of the GIZ in Uganda in the performance of his/her official duties and will work in close coordination with the colleagues based at the embassy in Kampala and the GIZ Sector Project Forced Displacement.
This position will develop a system for knowledge management as well as build an efficient information sharing stream and efficient coordination mechanism for knowledge management between agencies and government, at Kampala and field level as well as with other CRRF Secretariats in the region.
Responsibilities and key deliverables
- Develop a user-friendly system/database for collecting assessment, reports and any other documentation used in programming in refugee hosting districts
- Analysis of existing information-sharing channels, including refugee and host population data and statistics, to develop recommendations and implement an improved and coherent system for collection and management of data that works with all platforms
- Support the CRRF Secretariat, UNHCR as well Germany and other stakeholder involved in taking stock and documenting of best practice examples, particularly projects that cater to the needs of refugees and host populations alike to be fed into the process of the Global Com-pact for Refugees.
- Review Progress in implementing the CRRF framework, including ReHoPE programme framework, to identify success, gaps, constraints and solutions to achieve strategic objectives;
- Build and maintain strong working relations with all relevant stakeholders, including NGOs, UN agencies, academia, and government, to improve information sharing and use of the knowledge management system
- Support to the CRRF Secretariat in coordinating with other (particularly development) partners on the international, national, regional and district level and work closely with government to support information sharing across sector working groups at Kampala and field level – ensuring integration of refugee related matters in various planning processes
- Advanced University Degree in Social Science, Development, Economics, International Relations or Information Technology;
- Extensive experience in a humanitarian and/or development context;
- Experience developing information sharing and knowledge management systems;
- Proven coordination skills engaging actors across the humanitarian-development spectrum, and the public and private sectors, with strong communication skills relevant to the different forums;
- Experience working with a multitude of stakeholders at all levels
- Team player: able to work with people from all technical and cultural backgrounds
- Communication: ability to communication and disseminate information effectively to a broad background of stakeholders.
- Language: excellent English language skills, including drafting and research capabilities;
- Regional knowledge about and experience in Uganda and/or East Africa
The capital Kampala offers international schools at European level. Health care is sufficient, but does not meet German standards. The security situation is mostly good, but can change rapidly due to simmering political and social conflicts.
At the site of operation the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures.
The initial contract is for one year with the option to extend.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
Kundenportal der Abteilung Rekrutierung und Folgeeinsatz
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]