Advisor (m/f/d) Energy and Finance
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ operates worldwide. As part of the GIZ team, you are prepared to take on international assignments and pass on your expertise.
The Energising Development (EnDev) partnership is a joint impact-oriented global programme of Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, United Kingdom, Switzerland and Sweden. The objective of the program is to provide access to modern energy services to households, social institutions as well as small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs). About 21,3 million people have gained access to either electricity or improved cooking technologies in households. Social institutions, small and medium-sized enterprises have benefited from sustainable access to modern energy services.
The GIZ Financial Systems Development (FSD) Sector Project works on a variety of financial sector topics. This includes but is not limited to areas such as financial inclusion, digital finance, impact investing and long-term finance.
Jointly the projects work on topics of access to energy and access to finance as well as finance solutions and business cases for stand-alone energy solutions for sustainable electricity, cooking and productive use.
- Work closely with the financial systems development team as well as the Energising Development (EnDev) Team both in Eschborn and on the ground, where projects are implemented
- Conduct field missions (e.g. scoping-, appraisal missions) in relevant project countries, mainly in sub-Sahara Africa
- Develop activities to promote the interest of local financial institutions and investors in order to finance local SMEs and start-up entrepreneurs in the off-grid energy space (e.g. solar, clean cooking, mini-grid, etc.)
- Implement activities in partner countries together with local partner organization and colleagues on a regular basis, including meetings with relevant stakeholders in both the energy and financial sector as well as preparing and implementing workshops, trainings and other activities
- Follow and contribute to the activities of the Global SME Finance Forum and other relevant working groups on SME finance
- Collaborate with stakeholders and partners by participating in and jointly organizing conferences, workshops, webinars, or trainings
- Prepare terms of reference for consultants and follow up on contractual issues (international and local consultants and experts)
- University degree in a field relevant to the position
- Several years of professional experience in economics, financial systems development or energy finance
- Solid financial sector background, ideally including experience in one or several of the following areas: SME finance, regulation (e.g. Central Banks), financial infrastructure (e.g. Credit Reference Bureaus), financial consumer protection (e.g. responsible finance), digital finance (e.g. mobile money, agent banking) or energy finance
- Working experience in Africa and sound understanding of the “access to energy” landscape will be an advantage
- Fluency in both German and English is essential, command of French and/or Portuguese are an advantage
This position can be filled in full-time or 80% part-time.
The position will include regular travel to partner countries for implementation of activities.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
+49 (0) 6196 79 3200
Economic and employment promotion
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]