Advisor (m/f/d) for Academic Affairs, Pan African Institute for Water and Energy Science
The Federal German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) supports the African Union Commission in setting up the Pan African University (PAU). The PAU is a continental network university striving for excellence and contributing to core fields of Africa’s development. The emphasis of PAU is on the training of graduates and doctoral candidates as well as on applied research, outreach and policy advice. The GIZ programme is supporting the institutional development of the Pan African University Institute for Water and Energy Science (including Climate Change) - PAUWES - located in Tlemcen, Algeria. In addition, the support through GIZ is focusing on the establishment of career services as well as the Pan African University Hub for Entrepreneurship with partnerships and outreach activities across the continent.
- Advising the PAUWES Director and staff on academic planning and organizational development to achieve impact in the water and energy sector as well as regarding climate change
- Helping to improve frameworks and processes for quality assurance and relevance of academic programmes
- Supporting the development of new study programmes at the Level Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) and professional Master in Climate Change, supporting the stakeholder and partner outreach for academic profile raising and achieving the mission of a network university
- Coordinating the advisory to the PAUWES in academic affairs with the project teams of GIZ providing support at the level of the PAU Rectorate
- Supporting the linkages of PAUWES with the African Union policy agenda and reform needs in the African higher education sector
- Advising PAUWES on achieving more financial sustainability of its programmes and activities
- Master degree in a relevant field in water and energy policy or engineering or in a different field in the economic, social sciences or in education
- Longstanding professional experience in organizational development, institution building and/or quality assurance in a higher education context
- Experience in cooperation between higher education and the private sector, employment orientation of higher education
- Working experience in an international and intercultural setting and a preferably high-level political context, ideally in Africa
- Team working skills
- Excellent advisory and communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and in challenging environments, high flexibility and resilience
- Fluency in English and French, knowledge of German is an asset
Tlemcen (120.000 inhabitants) is a city in the Western region of Algeria, close to the coast with international airport. The city was Islamic Cultural Capital in 2011. The climate is pleasant with hot summers. National coverage of medical/health care exists, but is not satisfactory in regions far away from Algiers. Tlemcen does not have an international school for children of school age. The security situation is tense. There are special security risk mitigation measures applying to GIZ staff on-site. All staff must follow GIZ security instructions at any time. Please also read up on county-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
Health, social security, Humanitarian aid
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]