Civil Peace Advisor (m/f/d) for the Promotion of Indigenous Rights in North Eastern Mindanao
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The Program of the Civil Peace Service (CPS) Philippines contributes to transforming violent conflict and promoting peace in Mindanao. Following these objectives, CPS cooperates with Philippine partners at different levels such as community representatives, local organizations, civil society networks and state institutions. Unequal access to resources and the socio-political marginalization of large sections of the population have contributed to various violent conflicts in Mindanao. The proposed assignment is located under the thematic focus of recognition, promotion and protection of indigenous peoples’ rights. Creating mechanisms and dialogue platforms to balance conflicting interests, strengthen institutions and empower local communities are key strategies through which the program contributes to sustainable and positive peace in North Eastern Mindanao.
- Advising and supporting to project partners (local Civil Society Organisations (CSO), public and private actors, government agencies and indigenous communities) on the implementation of plans and programs for the recognition, promotion and protection of the rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Support to Indigenous Peoples’ Organizations and their traditional governing bodies in the non-violent resolution of resource- and culture-based conflicts through the strengthening of traditional conflict resolution approaches and more inclusive decision-making processes
- Working in close partnership with the indigenous cultural communities of Surigao del Norte, with a focus on indigenous peoples’ organizations, their tribal leaders and indigenous youth in the context of intra-, inter-social and resource-based conflicts
- Close cooperation and coordination with the GIZ-CPS project team at the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples in Surigao del Norte
- Organization and implementation of activities and events, such as workshops, trainings and measures for Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation (PM&E)
- Writing of reports and publications
- Development of project proposals and management project funds
- Contributing to the overall GIZ-CPS Philippines Program, such as knowledge, materials and support for program tasks
- Master degree in anthropology, sociology, political sciences, conflict transformation and peacebuilding or related subjects
- Practical knowledge and skills in concepts and instruments of non-violent conflict transformation and peacebuilding
- Relevant work experience in non-violent conflict transformation, peacebuilding and/or human rights advocacy (especially on indigenous peoples’ rights)
- Skills in participatory project management: project design, proposal development, project implementation, PM&E
- Skills in workshop design and moderation techniques
- Distinct capacities in self-organization and working independently
- Commitment to core values of GIZ CPS, such as mutual respect, non-violent communication, process-orientation and approaches
- Very good communication skills
- Fluency in English and willingness to learn the local language
- In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union
- Duty station: Surigao City in Surigao del Norte
- Climate: Tropical island climate with significant rainfalls during rainy season
- Healthcare: Local hospital and doctors within the city, hospitals with international standards are in Davao and Manila
- Supply and shopping facilities: Local products are available, market for imported products is slowly developing, several tourist destinations for recreational purposes in the vicinity
- Accessibility: Provincial airport in Surigao City with limited flight options and Butuan City (three hours) with frequent flights to Manila
- Children: Duty station is suitable for families with small children
- Schools: There are no international schools; elementary and limited secondary schools exist but not to an international standard. School fees are reimbursed according to GIZ guidelines
- Other: Surigao del Norte is prone to multiple natural disasters such as earthquakes, heavy precipitation and flooding
- Security: In general, the security situation is calm. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. There are no special restrictions to freedom of movement in the working environment. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
Frequent business trips to Manila, Davao and Butuan and regular car rides to projects sights within the province; driver’s license (B) is required.
Information about GIZ-CPS Program Philippines: https://www.giz.de/en/worldwide/18180.html
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience.
In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
+49 (0) 6196 79 3200
Humanitarian aid, Peace development, crisis prevention
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]