Development Advisor at Sierra Leone Road Transport Corporation (SLRTC)
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The topic of youth employment has a high priority for the Sierra Leonean government. The new Administration in place since May 2018 has created a Ministry of High and Tertiary Education as spelled out in the New Directions agenda. The necessity to address the needs for this category of economic actors in the population (it roughly accounts for nearly half of the working population) is important as it stands for a key risk factor for country stability. The Employment Promotion Programme (EPP III), being implemented by GIZ is in its third phase and looks into improving the employment and income situation, especially for young people.
In the program module 'Youth employment promotion through local economic development', a partnership with the parastatal Sierra Leone Road Transport Corporation – SLRTC is planned. The aim is to support the SLRTC and GIZ in enhancing youth skills with country wide coverage and with links to the private sector stakeholders. SLRTC trains youths in developing their skills on electro mechanics and manages workshops where practical experience is acquired. It further seeks to develop venture with private sector companies to have internship of the trainees. Activities are carried to develop curricula and do training of trainers as well improving the performance of its existing workshops for better and hand on practice. Overall, the use of change in awareness and training should lead to more employment among young people.
SLRTC is a Government owned public transport company (buses). It has a management team in place with: CEO, diverse office staff, Manager of Training Center, 4 class room teacher, 13 supervisors in the workshops for the practical session. The compound has a garage to maintain the bus fleet and a the training center. The training center works closely with the Ministry of Labour (a key partner to EPP III), which offers the students qualification and certificates. The training center and its workshops have 40 working places for students (at present time 94 students are registered at SLRTC). The Manager of the training center is expected to work with EPP III and its expected Development Advisor.
SLRTC mandates are:Develop a demand oriented vocational training centre for automotive and metal-working trainees (80% practical and 20% theory) Provide a high-quality training program and sufficient graduates to meet the demand of both the public and the private sector Develop and organise Training of Trainers (TOT) to enhance the capacity of trainers for both at the training centre and at the main workshop Coordinate activities and development strategies with private transportation companies and Government agencies
SLRTC Technical training center needs to be strengthened in terms of delivery capacity (curricula development; training of trainers and organizational development). SLRTC is linked to the Ministry of Labor and Social Security (MLSS) and the Ministry of Transport and Aviation (MTA). MLSS is a key partner for EPP III. There is a MoU (dated July 2016) between GIZ and SLRTC that needs to be further enacted.
Develop and organize TOTs e.g. in metalworking, welding, engine technology and car electronics for the teachers and supervisors of SLRTC.
- Facilitate and support class room teaching through different kind of media support. Help the development of adequate training material for theoretical education.
- Support the reviewing of the curricula. The curricula should meet the demand of the private sector and include internships.
- Assist workshop supervisors, both at the training center and at the garage in inventory, stockroom and control system. Support the maintenance of tools and machineries and the procurement of maintenance and operating instructions.
- Support the supervisors of the maintenance workshop in their practical trainings sessions. Develop adequate training materials and a list of appropriate tools needed for practical trainings.
- Networking with international organisations and donors and Governmental agencies as well.
- Degree in mechatronics or similar fields (Master / Technician / Specialist Vocational School Teacher)
- Experience in the maintenance and repair of buses and trucks of at least five years
- Some level of practice in improving content of training curriculum adapted to workshop training also for instructor aptitude test
- Understanding of the skills needs in private sector enterprises (small, medium enterprises) with good knowledge of practical internship
- Professional experience in organizational development is preferred
- Sufficient fluency in English language (level B or C) in writing, speaking and reading and fine command of German
- Some practice in advisory and training skills (improving / upgrading training in vocational training)
- Driving license that covers cars and buses categories
The following skills are desired: • Team player and mentor • Negotiation skills • Intercultural empathy and sensitivity to communicate with partners from various origins (local and international stakeholders)
- Residence: Freetown
- Climate: Tropical with rainy and dry seasons
- Health care: Only basic care, emergencies must be flown out
- Shopping and supply options: almost everything is available on site. Certain brands and qualities often do not
- Accessibility: Good daily flight connections to Europe
- School situation and school fees: International schools are available until grade 9 or 12 respectively. School fees vary greatly, from very expensive to well below average. Refund in accordance with. GIZ guidelines
- Other: Sierra Leone has the most beautiful beaches in West Africa and is a quiet and safe country
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Willingness to travel from time to time to remote locations is to be considered.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the Entwicklungshelfergesetz (EhfG).
Kundenportal der Abteilung Rekrutierung und Folgeeinsatz
+49 228 4460-1488
Economic and employment promotion
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]