Development Advisor (m/f/d) for nutrition coordination and advocacy
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The GIZ Food and Nutrition Security and Enhanced Resilience (FANSER) Project aims to improve the nutritional situation of deprived people, particularly women of reproductive age (15 – 49) and children under the age of two years. The Project is funded by a global initiative One World – NO HUNGER of the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The main objectives are to improve quality of and a more varied and balanced diet for women and children; improved and stable access to and greater availability of food for households threatened by food insecurity; to increase resilience by taking advantage of basic services in agriculture, health, education, social security as well as water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH). The project will support the establishment and advisory of governmental coordination structures in Luapula province to provide services, guidance and advocacy for improved food and nutrition security.
- Facilitating the process of establishment of the District Nutrition Coordinating Committee (DNCC) in Kawambwa District and advise the existing DNCC in Mansa District in Liaison with The National Food and Nutrition Commission (NFNC)
- Supporting the establishment, monitoring and reporting of food and nutrition multisectoral plans in the districts through the DNCCs in Mansa and Kawambwa in line with the national guidelines
- Facilitating documentation and sharing processes, innovations, lessons learned and best practices with other stakeholders in the DNCC and Provincial Nutrition Coordinating Committee (PNCC)
- Leading the process of identifying capacity gaps within the Nutrition Committees at Province, District and Ward Level for an enhanced capacity building plan
- Providing or facilitating trainings and capacity development for PNCC/DNCC members for advocacy and effective implementation of nutrition sensitive activities
- Assisting with Public Relations work and cooperate with relevant stakeholders to improve and maintain good working relationships and support the DNCC to become innovative learning platforms for nutrition related topics
- Regularly interact with provincial/district/ward level sector nutrition focal points and other technical staff to ensure planned activities are implemented
- Monitoring and Evaluation of the programme to effectively monitor desired outcomes; providing technical assistance to DNCC to ensure knowledge transfer
- Support the preparation of progress and annual reports to the German BMZ and to Zambian partners at different levels
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition, social work, agribusiness, health promotion, agronomy, rural development or other relevant discipline
- Several years professional experience, preferably in a comparable position or related to nutrition
- Demonstrated knowledge in stakeholder engagement, managing local platforms in development work and dietary diversity at intra-household level or multi-stakeholder processes
- Experience in capacity building of development practitioners including public service workers
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team
- Structured work style with a high degree of self-organisation, flexibility and creativity; teamwork and networking skills combined with the talent to think conceptually and analytically
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English, knowledge of German is an advantage
The duty station and location of the main accommodation is in Mansa, the provincial capital of Luapula Province. The distance to Lusaka is a 12 hours’ drive, but also connected via regular flights. The town has around 130.000 citizens; urban infrastructure like basic medical care, water supply, sanitary facilities and electricity, supermarket, telecommunication system and waste disposal are generally given. Luapula province is a remote place, but it offers some beautiful touristic highlights such as Zambia’s second biggest waterfalls (Lumangwe Falls), the Banguewlu Wetlands or the Kasanka National Park, famous for its annual bat migration which is the largest mammal migration on Earth.
There are no international schools in Mansa, therefore the assignment is not appropriate for families with school aged children.
The position requires demonstrated interest and capacity to work and live in a rather remote place and to undertake extensive field work. It is provincial town based with 40% of office time in Mansa and 60% field time in the targeted district of Kawambwa. Extensive traveling within the Province with an average of three working/office days in Kawambwa per week.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
Municipal/regional development, infrastructure
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]