Development Worker as Advisor (m/f/d) ’Sport for Development‘ in the Vocational Education Sector
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
Sport as a mean in development cooperation holds the potential to facilitate and open spheres of experiences and learning for a social and integrative cohabitation and by that strengthen the social capabilities of children and youth. On behalf of the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), GIZ implements the ‘Sport for Development in Africa’ Regional Project (S4DA) in selected sub-Saharan countries. Target group are disadvantaged young people with special attention to girls and young women. S4DA’s focus area in Ethiopia is in the training and vocational education sector (TVET) in close cooperation with the GIZ – Sustainable Training and Education Programme (STEP). Through participation in sport, children and young adults shall acquire and deepen relevant core competencies to increase their employability.
- Close collaborating with the TVET Training Institute and assisting with the implementation of extra-curricular training activities
- Developing a methodical concept for the realization of practical short-term trainings in the area of sport for development; then testing and subsequently implementing it in a pilot phase
- Contributing to the improvement of extra-curricular activities, which enables teachers at vocational schools to communicate and teach important values and life skills
- Supporting the TVET Training Institute in the sustainable embedment of the S4D approach and in the development of a methodical concept for sustainable implementation of educational offers
- Advisory services and consultation of the TVET Training Institute regarding the development of a methodical concept to integrate ‘Sport for Development’ into the curricula of their educational offers
- Setting up a pilot phase and the implementation of practical short-term S4D-trainings
- Conceptual design and coordination of further qualification of multipliers („Train the Trainers“) in the field of S4D in the vocational education sector
- Merging sport pedagogical activities and further educational offers and measures, among others in the thematic areas of gender equality, protection of rights of children and youth, safeguarding in sport and sport for development
- University degree in sport-, social science, humanities, politics
- Experience and knowledge in the field of ‘Sport for Development‘, especially regarding qualification of multipliers and cooperation with educational institutions
- Experience in project management and in cooperation with governmental vocational training institutes, associations and sport structures
- Practical experience in (social) youth work with special regards to the promotion of girls and young women; Knowledge of organisational development and advise
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to work independently; proactive behaviour
- Foreign experience in developing countries is of advantage
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
- Place of residence: Addis Ababa
- Healthcare: The medical care in Addis Ababa is good, rather limited in other parts of the country
- Supply and shopping facilities: In almost all towns consumer goods are available
- Accessibility: Different international airlines to Addis Ababa with daily connections to and from Europe
- Miscellaneous: Urban infrastructure like water supply, sanitary facilities and electricity, telecommunication system and waste disposal are generally given
The security situation requires increased alertness. There are special security risk mitigation measures applying to GIZ staff on-site. All staff must follow GIZ security instructions at any time. Please also read up on county-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
+49 (0) 6196 79 3200
Health, social security, Humanitarian aid
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]