Development Worker as advisor (m/f/d) for capacity development and conservation awareness/outreach at community level
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The programme “Protection and Sustainable Use of Forest Ecosystems and Biodiversity in Laos" (ProFEB) promotes good forest governance and effective management of protected areas with the aim to curb drivers for deforestation and loss of biodiversity. The programme develops solutions for reducing illegal logging as well as illegal timber trade and associated forest degradation and conversion and to prevent timber smuggling and poaching in protected areas. Cornerstone of the programme is the effort to increase and improve collaboration between government authorities and non-state actors in order to protect and sustainably use forest ecosystems and biodiversity by institutionalizing models of cooperation between different stakeholders.
The Advisor will primarily support the Outreach and Community Conservation Awareness Unit of the Hin Nam No Protected Area as well as the related multi-stakeholder working group in carrying out environmental education, outreach and dissemination, and community engagement in order to strengthen awareness for nature conservation and the participation of communities in the management and administration of Hin Nam No.
- Support with the establishment and capacity development of a multi-stakeholder working group on "Community Outreach and Conservation Awareness" in the context of the co-management system
- Technical support and co-development of projects and activities to strengthen the co-management system at the village level
- Support with the conceptualization, planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of activities of the working group in the context of existing co-management processes
- Technical support and co-development of trainings for village rangers in the area of "Outreach and Community Mobilization"
- Technical support and co-development of activities and programmes to improve the understanding of "World Heritage", important laws and processes in the villages
- Degree in environmental education, rural development, geography, forestry of another relevant field
- Work experience in the context of international development cooperation and in the field of nature conservation, biodiversity and species protection
- Good knowledge of methods, tools and approaches in the areas of environmental education, community mobilization, public relations, communication
- Experience in designing and facilitating workshops and training events is an asset
- Proven organizational and coordination competency
- Intercultural competence and political sensitivity
- Willingness to learn Lao language
- Fluent English skills, fluent German skills are an asset
- Place of residence: Thakhek, capital of Khammouane province and home base for this posting, is a small, safe and relaxing city.
- Supply and shopping facilities: Over the last years it developed as a tourist destination and offers a decent range of restaurants, bars and cafes. It is located directly at the Mekong river and border to Thailand, making it convenient to go shopping in Thailand.
- School situation: There are no international schools available.
- Others: Khammouane province is a prime destination for climbing and trekking in Laos. Hin Nam No National Park, Laos first planned natural World Heritage Site, is just 2,5 hours away and invites nature lovers for bird/wildlife watching, hiking and other nature activities.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act.
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
Agriculture, forestry, nutrition, Water and waste management, environment, resources
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]