Development Worker as Advisor (m/f/d) for Eco and Adventure Tourism
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Development Programme supports sustainable tourism development in Sri Lanka. We aim to promote tourism initiatives that are eco-friendly and offer employment and livelihood opportunities to members of local communities. The programme works on identifying and addressing pain points in the sector in collaboration with stakeholders. One aim is to create public private partnerships to diversify and strengthen innovative and sustainable initiatives in collaboration with international tour operators with a special focus on digital approaches.
- Tourism marketing including the development of training materials to increase capacities of local stakeholders in the sector
- Identify and establish relationships with relevant national and international partners keeping in mind high environmental and social business standards
- Build partnerships with a wide range of influencers, change agents, catalysts, and institutions
- Link stakeholders to create platforms for exchange as well as investment pipelines
- Support start-up companies in the tourism sector in developing and introducing innovative approaches to the market
- Support partners with viable business plan developments
- Integrate activity providers and SMEs in tourism trails spanning across the island
- Higher degree holder in marketing, sustainable tourism or a related field
- Prior experiences in working in tourism and business development
- Knowledge in destination management and regional marketing as well as knowledge of eco- and community-driven tourism is an advantage
- Experience in conceptualizing new apps or other digital approaches is an advantage
- Experience abroad and in working in intercultural contexts
- Sensitivity towards or experience with approaches to gender equality
- Structured work style with a high degree of self-organization, flexibility and creativity
- Fluent knowledge of English, knowledge of German is an advantage
The security situation is currently tense.
There are special security risk mitigation measures applying to GIZ staff onsite. Please also read up on county-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Development workers contribute their professional expertise to non-governmental and state organisations in partner countries. They train, advise and design projects jointly with the partner organisations. Development workers do not receive a customary salary, but can instead claim a living allowance, as well as family, health and insurance benefits. Your assignment will begin with several intensive weeks of preparation (including for your family) in Germany and in your partner country. When you finish your assignment in your partner country, you will receive support in reintegrating into working life and society in your country of origin.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
Economic and employment promotion
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]