Stellenmarkt für Fachkräfte in der Entwicklungszusammenarbeit
Development Worker as Advisor (m/f/d) for Forest Management
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The Project „Protection and sustainable use of natural resources in Ethiopia” has as its main objective the strengthening of capacities of the institutions responsible for the management of protected areas and forests at national, regional and local levels. As the project is entering a third phase of implementation, an important field of action is the support to partner institutions in the institutionalization and up-scaling of the already developed instruments and digital solutions for an efficient management of protected areas and forests. The project concentrates efforts in the protection of natural forests and in the development and management of plantation forests, as well as in promoting a sustainable timber production and processing. In the Amhara region, the governmental enterprise manages the plantation forests. The Amhara Forest Enterprise (AFE) is thereby supported by the project. Further strengthening and consolidation of the already developed instruments and skills are still needed. An expansion of forestry activities to other regions is foreseen.
- Support the AFE in the implementation and monitoring of forest management plans, as well as in the implementation of the Forest Development Strategy
- Advise AFE in the further development and institutionalization of best practices and instruments on sustainable forest management and tree harvesting operations
- Advise and support the management of nurseries and the introduction of innovative approaches to seed improvement and genetic material propagation
- Support AFE to develop and implement a strategy to develop round timber markets and promote timber traceability and wood products certification
- Facilitate synergies and cooperation among AFE and other governmental institution to progressively upgrade sawn-timber markets rules and regulations
- Support regional institutions in the expansion and upscaling of proven forest development and management tools
- Advise the project management in general forestry-related issues and strategies
- University degree in forest sciences / forestry and many years of professional experience in the field of sustainable forest management, forestry-economy, forest value chains and wood primary processing areas
- Relevant expertise in international cooperation and in the private forest sector is of advantage
- Several years of professional experience and relevant expertise in advising and cooperating with governmental institutions
- Sound knowledge of international timber markets rules and regulations and common practices for round timber quality testing, evaluation, traceability and certification as well as profound knowledge of IT, GIS and basic geomatic tools
- Experience in organisational consulting and process improvement
- Strong analytical and coordination competences as well as intercultural competence and communication skills
- Authenticity, adaptability, resilience as well as performance and goal orientation
- Fluency in English; good knowledge of German is of advantage
Please use the following link for information about living and working in Ethiopia.
Climate: moderate, warm during the day and cool at night
Health: Basic health care in public and private health centers in town. In Addis Ababa, which can be reached several times a day by flight, there is a wide range of health care facilities
Shopping and supply options: good, local and some imported products available
Access: several daily flights to the capital Addis Ababa (1 hour)
School situation: No international schools in town
Children: good for families with small children, or for children doing home-schooling
The security situation requires heightened vigilance. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The working environment is subject to special restrictions on the freedom of movement. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
For general questions from dependent partners about on-site employment - Feel free to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
For general questions from dependent partners about local employment - please contact: email@example.com
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
A prerequisite for the conclusion of the agreement is the lifting of the restrictions currently in force in the company on the possibilities for travel and business trips in order to contain the worldwide spread of the Covid-19 virus.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).
Recruitment and Follow-on assignments Client Portal
Agriculture, forestry, nutrition, Water and waste management, environment, resources
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem in de…[mehr]