Development Worker as Advisor (m/f/d) for microfinance institution with affiliated village banks
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The Lao People’s Democratic Republic is categorised by the United Nations as one of the world’s least developed countries. More than two-thirds of its seven million citizens live in rural areas and have only limited access to basic financial services, education and markets.
The project “Access to Finance for the Poor (AFP)” is part of the Sustainable Economic Development priority area of German development cooperation with Laos. The GIZ project advises on three levels in Laos; it is involved in consulting at the meso and micro levels. A microfinance institution (MFI) is supported at the meso level; on the micro level, village banks are established and receive sustainable support. Members of village banks are trained in financial literacy. In total, the programme advises seven of these MFIs in six different provinces.
- Advising the Board of Directors (BoD), Management and staff of the MFI regarding potential improvements in their daily working routines
- Guiding the MFI to be a financially self-sustainable organization that operates with a social mission (double bottom line)
- Supporting the MFI management in strategic decision making (growth path, Human Ressources HR, product conditions, fundraising, gender etc.)
- Facilitating the monitoring, supervision and controlling activities of village banks (VBs) and Network Support Organisations (NSO), incl. NSO’s service quality to VB
- Ensuring implementation of recommendations from project's gender strategy
- Facilitating relevant capacity-building measures such as training courses, workshops, seminars, peer-to-peer exchange, field trips
- Supporting use of new management information system; documentation of relevant experiences and lessons learnt; reporting according to Programme and GIZ guidelines
- Liaising closely with AFP management and the team for Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), opportunities and risks and implementation issues
- Experience in the financial sector, ideally in microfinance
- Extensive project management experience
- General computer skills
- Good interpersonal and intercultural communication skills
- Motorcycle driving license is advisable
- Good knowledge of English, willingness to learn Lao language
- Place of residence: The provincial capital, Attapeu, about 2.5 hours away from Pakse
- Climate: Sub-tropical, with the rainy season lasting from May until September; in the dry season, temperatures can reach 40 degrees Celsius or more
- Health care: Health care in this location is rudimentary. There are slightly better facilities in Pakse, but for serious conditions and more complex but not urgent issues, treatment in neighbouring Thailand is recommended
- Shops and services: Acceptable in this location; better in Pakse, good in the capital (Vientiane)
- Accessibility: The airport in Pakse has up to three daily flights to Vientiane and few international connections. Attapeu has an (international) airport which is currently closed
- Children and schools: This location is not suitable for school-age children. There are several international schools in Vientiane
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
+49 (0) 6196 79 3200
Demokratieförderung/Zivilgesellschaft/Governance, Promoting democracy, civil society, governance
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]