Development Worker as Advisor (m/f/d) for the Inclusive Violence and Crime Prevention Programme
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
Despite an internationally exemplary normative orientation of violence prevention, 25 years after apartheid South Africa is still characterized by a high rate of violence and crime as well as a highly socially and spatially segregated society. Violence prevention requires contributions from many different sectors, actors and all levels of government. Therefore, the Inclusive Violence Prevention Programme (VCP) has an integrated, holistic and partnership-focused approach to supporting violence and crime prevention in South Africa. One of the core focus areas of the project is strengthening the capacities of local governments to contribute to violence and crime prevention through the development and implementation of participatory, evidence-based community safety plans.
- Support the South African Local Government Association (SALGA) in integrating community safety and violence prevention measures into municipal programmes and plans
- Assist SALGA in the roll-out of a national capacity development intervention for municipal councillors and officials on mainstreaming community safety into municipal development plans (Integrated Development Plans) including evidence-based and gender-focused prevention approaches
- Support SALGA in mobilizing and liaising with all relevant role-players at national and provincial levels with regard to strengthening the contribution of local government to community safety and violence prevention
- Advise and support SALGA on the accreditation process for training concepts/material that have been developed and tested within the framework of ongoing capacity development measures
- Advise on the integration and alignment of municipal community safety capacity development processes with relevant national policy frameworks, such as the White Paper on Safety and Security and the Integrated Urban Development Framework
- Support the development of a monitoring and evaluation framework for the municipal community safety capacity development intervention
- Support research and the documentation of municipal capacity support processes and lessons learned for knowledge sharing and evidence-based advocacy
- Provide support to SALGA to input on the development and implementation of new strategies, regulations, or legislation of relevance to the role of local government promoting safer communities
- University degree in social or political sciences, development studies, public administration, criminology or equivalent qualification
- Professional experience in the field of integrated approaches to violence prevention
- In-depth expertise in the field of municipal or urban planning and development
- Strong conceptual, analytical, organizational and communication skills as well as a high level of consulting and networking competence
- Experience in designing and realizing capacity development measures, ideally in a local government context
- Intercultural competence and ability to work in a diverse team and to foster relationships across government and with other key stakeholders
- Experience in international cooperation
- Fluent English (in oral and written), understanding of German is an advantage
- Place of residence: Pretoria, a family-friendly location
- Climate: Humid subtropical climate with long hot rainy summers and short cool to cold, dry winters; the summer temperatures can be as high as 36°C, the average annual temperature is 18.7 °C
- Healthcare: Basic and advance health services are available from both public and private sector; good accommodating complex and medical treatment
- Supply and shopping facilities: Goods of daily use and luxuries are available in comparable good quantity and quality; imported goods and food supplies from Europe are also available in shopping centres and convenience shops
- Accessibility: Regular flights from Johannesburg (Tambo Airport) to various international cities, African countries and networks are available
- School situation and school fees: Good international and local schools are available in Pretoria, including a German school
- Security: A good security situation
Willingness and ability to undertake regular business trips within the country of assignment is required.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
Demokratieförderung/Zivilgesellschaft/Governance, Promoting democracy, civil society, governance
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]