Development Worker as Advisor (m/f/d) for the organisational development of the National Meteorological Service in Madagascar
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The GIZ project "Adaptation of Agricultural Value Chains to Climate Change" (PrAda) aims to increase the performance of actors in selected agricultural value chains. PrAda pursues this goal through three components: (1) Agrometeorological information (2) Promotion of agricultural value chains (3) Climate risk insurance.
Under Component 1, the project is cooperating with the National Meteorological Service (Direction Générale de la Météorologie, DGM) and other national partners. On an international level, a cooperation with the German Weather Service (Deutscher Wetterdienst, DWD) has been established. The objective of this component is to provide high quality agrometeorological information to the actors of agricultural value chains.
- Advise the DGM in the implementation of prototypes of innovative information products which have been jointly developed through a Product Innovation Lab
- Accompany the partner organisation in adjusting its internal processes in the context of innovative changes to the management of weather and climate data in Madagascar
- Support the DGM in establishing a regular dialogue between producers and users of agrometeorological information in Madagascar
- Establish, together with the partner organisation, a process to systematically consider user feedback in the development of new information products
- University degree in geography, meteorology, climate sciences or related disciplines with basic knowledge in the field of climate services
- Work experience in communication and/or organisational development
- Proven consulting skills
- Strong intercultural competence
- Work experience in developing countries, ideally in francophone Africa is an asset
- Experience in collaborating with national weather services and/or climate service providers is an asset
- Fluent in French, willingness to acquire basic knowledge of Malagasy
Occasional duty travels to the South and Southeast of Madagascar are foreseen.
- Location information Place of work: Antananarivo (capital city of Madagascar).
- Climate: Temperate tropics, rainy season from November to March, cool winter from June to August.
- Health care: Basic medical care, very good medical care in Mauritius and La Reunion.
- Shopping possibilities: Good shopping possibilities for local and international products as well as food.
- Accessibility: Daily flights to Europe, well-developed national air network, partially good national roads.
- School situation: Various international schools, including American and French schools. Refund of school fees according to the GIZ guidelines.
- Other information: The air quality in the capital is impaired by the traffic situation.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
Water and waste management, environment, resources
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]