Development Worker as Advisor (m/f/d) for the Promotion of Economic Activities for Refugees and Host Communities in Rwanda
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The Rwandan Ministry in Charge of Emergency Management (MINEMA) and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) have developed a strategy for economic inclusion of refugees in Rwanda in 2016. The project aims at supporting the improvement of economic inclusion of refugees and inhabitants of the host communities. Integrating a combination of activities to improve the conditions for economic inclusion of refugees and host communities on national and local levels, including the promotion of the local micro, small and medium enterprises. The focus of the project is on four fields of activity:Enhancing framework conditions at national and local level Business start-ups and expansions especially in the refugee camps and the surrounding areas Professional upgrading for young refugees and young men and women from the neighbouring communities and Psychosocial support for the target groups
- Supporting UNHCR, Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and local organizations in building capacities in identifying markets and employment areas for refugees and members of the host communities
- Identifying advisory needs in the field of economic inclusion, advisory and capacity development in planning and implementing economic sustainable inclusion activities
- Identifying and advising individuals and groups with business potential
- Assessing business ideas, potentials, small measures for upscaling and further development
- Supporting business creators, associations, groups and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) in further developing business ideas, planning and long term approaches plus training
- Identifying partners, training measures, financing partners, marketing channels etc. for developing businesses, upscaling existing MSME, developing new ideas and finding new cooperation models for small entrepreneurs (e.g. small incubators)
- Assisting business creators, associations, and others groups with business potential to obtain legal documents for the easy implementation of their activities
- University degree or professional qualification economics, business, social sciences, vocational education
- Experience with micro, small and medium businesses, business development and creation
- Knowledge of labor market services and vocational qualification
- Experience with working with refugees and host communities, ideally in a livelihood position
- Advanced knowledge in organizational development and project management
- Work experience with NGOs and international organizations / donors / in development, and in cooperation with networks
- Excellent advisory and coaching skills and communication competencies
- Fluency in English and French; Swahili / Kinyarwanda / Kirundi an asset
The position is based in Kirehe, a pleasant rural town, close to the border to Tanzania, approx. three hours’ drive to Kigali. Aside from some petty crime, there are no immediate security risks. Due to a large number of international organizations that work in Mahama refugee camp, the housing situation is good, adequate houses are available. 3G internet, power and water provision is stable, power shortages are seldom. There are basic local shopping facilities. Supermarkets with international products are available in Kigali.
Health care: UNHCR doctors that provide for the camp are well-trained and available, furthermore, in case there is need for a medical evacuation. There is a network of government hospitals in larger cities. Basic care is guaranteed. In more serious cases, transport outside the country (e.g. to Nairobi) may be necessary.
Schools: English and French international primary and secondary schools as well as universities are only available in Kigali. The post is therefore not suitable for families with children.
Recreation: Few restaurants and limited social activities are available in kirehe town. The lifestyle in Kirehe is quiet but pleasant, with many opportunities for contacts to local and refugee communities and international organizations and getting to know rural life in Rwanda..
Climate: Due to the altitude, the climate is moderate and rather mildly humid despite the proximity to the equator. Pleasant highland climate at 1500 m. Temperatures during the day are usually max. 30 °C, at night about 15 °C; long rainy season:
Shopping and supply possibilities: There are basic local shopping facilities. Supermarkets with international products are available in Kigali. Currency is the RWF (Rwandan Franc). USD and Euro can be exchanged without problems in Kigali.
Security: A contact person for security risk management is appointed at the GIZ office in Kigali. Kirehe is not suitable for children.
Willingness to work in remote locations is expected.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
+49 (0) 6196 79 3200
Economic and employment promotion
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]