Development Worker as Advisor (m/f/d) Organic Value Chain Promoter
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Development Programme of GIZ aims to provide farmers, traders, entrepreneurs and innovators in Sri Lanka with better access to markets, technologies and financing. The goal is to increase income and employment in rural areas and uplift the status of organic agriculture in the country. In particular, SME development fosters public private partnerships (PPPs) for investment and trade relations and promotes an enabling environment by assisting policymakers and stakeholders. To achieve this, it uses study tours and expert workshops to foster exchange and learning.
- Strengthen capacities as well as organizational development with policy-making bodies
- Support SMEs with innovative business models, marketing channels and product portfolio development
- Cooperation with various stakeholders as well as with local partners and with the GIZ SME development program team
- Integrate the organic supply chain from farm to fork
- Educate companies about target markets to intensify their understanding of target markets and their specific structures and cultures
- Promotion of new technologies and quality assurance techniques with a focus on digital solutions
- Strengthen the network of not formally recognized/ certified organic producers and traders
- Give support to formalization and official recognition of PGS (Participatory Guarantee System) as well as contribute to policy dialogue on PGS, support campaigning
- University degree or professional qualification in organic agriculture, marketing and quality standards in the food sector or related fields
- Knowledge of organic certification including PGS
- Experience abroad and in working in intercultural contexts
- Sensitivity towards, or experience with, approaches to gender equality
- Teamwork and networking skills combined with the talent to think conceptually and analytically
- Structured work style with a high degree of self-organisation, flexibility and creativity
- Strong communication and networking skills
- Fluent knowledge of English, knowledge of German is an advantage, EU citizenship-holder
The duty station is in Sri Lanka’s largest city Colombo. Colombo has an international airport and is connected to the rest of the country by air, sea, road networks and the railway lines. Sri Lanka has a tropical climate with temperatures that rarely drop below 25°C at night and often reach 30°C or more during the day. There are two monsoons occurring in opposite halves of the island and temperatures cool down a bit when it is raining. Colombo receives most of its rain fall between May and September. Various supermarket chains offer all basic goods as well as high quality imported products. Restaurants, hotels and cafes offer a large variety of both Sri Lankan and international cuisine. There are plenty of hospitals and specialists in Colombo, which are satisfactory for ordinary illnesses and health issues. For very complicated cases, a transfer to Singapore or Kuala Lumpur may be advisable. There are a number of international schools in Colombo.
The security situation is currently tense.
There are special security risk mitigation measures applying to GIZ staff onsite. Please also read up on county-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
Municipal/regional development, infrastructure
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]