Stellenmarkt für Fachkräfte in der Entwicklungszusammenarbeit
Development Worker as Advisor (m/f/d) Rwanda Forestry Authority
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The industrial timber production in the country has not been given due consideration and thus it has not developed as it should have. Until now, great part of forest owners opt for firewood production for rapid income generation, instead to apply longer harvesting rotation to maximize the overall economic value of forest products. Local timbers on the market do not meet the quantity and quality requirements needed by wood third processing operators that are supposed to contribute to increase Rwandan exportations value. As result, Rwanda suffer yet of serious trade imbalance concerning wood products. Therefore, by mutual agreement, Rwanda Forestry Authority (RFA) and GIZ Eco-Emploi Programme have decided the Assignment of a Development Worker to assist the Rwanda Forestry Authority in forest management in upgrading timber markets.
- Supporting RFA to upgrade forest management, silviculture and tree harvesting regulatory framework and operations to encourage the production of industrial timber in public and private Forest Management Units in Rwanda
- Supporting RFA to develop and implement a strategy to introduce round timber markets and promote timber traceability and wood products certifications in Rwanda to allow Rwandan wood products access international markets
- Facilitating RFA coordination with the Ministry of Trade and Industry to progressively upgrade sawn-timber markets rules and regulations
- University Degree in the area of Forest Management, Wood technology or equivalent
- Previous working experience in forest management, logging and wood primary processing ambits
- Sound knowledge of international timber markets rules and regulations and common practices for round timber quality testing, evaluation, traceability and certifications
- Microsoft Office and GIS proficiency
- Good English language skills; French language skills are an asset
- Previous international experience in capacity development is an asset
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills, creativity, resourcefulness and self-reliance, analytical and synthesis abilities as well as flexibility to effectively respond to continually changing internal and external conditions
Please use the following link for information about living and working in Rwanda.
The security situation is tense. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. A contact person for security risk management is appointed at the local GIZ office. The freedom of movement is restricted. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
Additional information: There is the possibility to live either in Ngororero or in Muhanga
Living conditions in Ngororero, Ngororero District, Western Province, about 34 kilometres north of Muhanga, the nearest large city:
- Health care: One Health Centre (Muhororo) and one small private clinic, the nearest hospital is in Muhanga
- Schools: Nearest adequate and international schooling options are in Kigali
- Shopping and supply possibilities: Three commercial banks; small rural shops for basic supplies, supermarket available in Muhanga
Living conditions in Muhanga, Muhanga District, Southern Province, approximately 45 kilometres (1,5 hour by car) southwest of Kigali:
- Health care: Three private Medical Clinics and one catholic health care center (kabgayi)
- Schools: The nearest adequate schooling options are in Kigali; two private universities; public, semi- public and private secondary schools are mostly hosted by religious institutions, primary schools; no international school or nursery available in Muhanga
- Shopping and supply possibilities: Supply and shopping facilities are available including a big supermarket
- Other: Muhanga is a safe place; suitable housing is available
Frequent travel by car to the other regions of the country will be necessary. A car (provided by GIZ) is required for being stationed in Muhanga; it takes 45 minutes from Muhanga to reach Ngororero.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
A prerequisite for the conclusion of the agreement is the lifting of the restrictions currently in force in the company on the possibilities for travel and business trips in order to contain the worldwide spread of the Covid-19 virus.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
+49 (0) 6196 79 3200
Agriculture, forestry, nutrition, Water and waste management, environment, resources
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem in de…[mehr]