Development Worker (m/f/d) as advisor for supporting business innovation and business development services
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
Sierra Leone is burdened with an extremely high rate of unemployment. The aim of the programme is to improve the employment and income situations sustainably for young people engaged in agriculture and working in micro, small and medium-sized businesses (MSMEs).
The approach is to support the private sector, especially in agriculture in order to strengthen rural economy and improve income opportunities for young people. To this end, GIZ is implementing the programme on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). Its primary partner is the Sierra Leone Ministry of Labour and Social Security (MLSS) to which it provides institutional support.
- Selection of innovative business ideas from the rural area
- Help the process of identification of entrepreneurs and screen together with the private sector district advisors the eligibilities of the applications
- Supporting and monitoring the beneficiaries in the implementation of their projects
- General administration of a large number of applicants
- Monitoring and statistical evaluation of effects, knowledge management of the intervention
- Channel through the verification of feasibility of innovative business proposals
- Support the development of business models from the proposals
- Organize the meeting for selection of proposals with external independant panel
- Degree in business administration / public administration or similar fields (Master / Bachelor)
- You have experience with MSME support programmes
- You have good business knowledge of innovation in small businesses
- Understanding of the skills needs in private sector enterprises (small, medium enterprises) with good knowledge of practical internship
- Fluency in English - spoken and written (C1)
- You have a driver's license for motor vehicles
- In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
- Place of Residence: Freetown
- Climate: Tropical with rainy and dry seasons
- Health care: Only basic care, emergencies must be flown out
- Shopping and supply options: Almost everything is available on site; certain brands and qualities often are not available
- Accessibility: Good daily flights to main European cities
- School situation and school fees: International schools are available until grade 9 or 12 respectively. School fees vary greatly, from very expensive to well below average. Refund in accordance with GIZ guidelines
- Security: The security situation is tense. There are special security risk mitigation measures applying to GIZ staff on-site.
- All staff must follow GIZ security instructions at any time. Please also read up on county-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
- Other: Sierra Leone has the most beautiful beaches in West Africa
In many instances, field visits in the rural areas where EPP III is implemented, is required to have on site knowledge of the business activities and provide technical assistance to field advisors.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience.
In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the Entwicklungshelfergesetz (EhfG).
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
Economic and employment promotion
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]