Peace Advisor (m/f/d) for ‘Thematic Team Dealing with the Past’
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transitional countries.
GIZ’s Civil Peace Service (CPS) program „Systematic strengthening and linking of local and national potentials for peace in a post-conflict phase” in Nepal aims at creating spaces for non-violent conflict transformation. It does so through support to community mediation, dialogue forums, non-violent communication and theatre methods for conflict transformation. CPS further works with local actors to promote holistic approaches to 'Dealing with the Past', which promote justice, reconciliation and healing.
CPS works with victims’ groups and other actors in order to enhance their capacities to conduct meaningful memory work that fosters intra-personal and inter-personal healing. This project further supports conflict victims and their communities to take forward memorialization and remembrance work and related advocacy. One important focus of the new role will be capacity building on and support to processes of collection, curation, securing and archiving sensitive, victim-related data.
- Supporting different conflict victims’ groups in memorialization work, together with a national peace advisor
- Facilitation of planning meetings in order to identify the particular memory work approach adapted to the needs of victims’ groups
- Capacity building of victims’ groups and other concerned stakeholders of holistic and restorative approaches to Dealing with the Past and Memory Work
- Support peer-to-peer processes and participatory approaches to story collection, verification, documentation and editing
- Support partner organizations in securing and archiving data
- Explore possibilities for cooperation with new partner organisations
- University degree in social science, psychology, social work or related subject (postgraduate research in related area will be an asset)
- Well-founded knowledge of concepts and methods of Memory Work; knowledge of using digital platforms for Memory Work
- Several years of work experience in Memorialization/Memory Work in a crisis country
- In depth work experience in Dealing with the Past, reconciliation and peace building in general
- Experience and sensitivity in working with victims and survivors and their associations; ability to give empathy and/or use non-violent communication with relevant actors and ability to be a positive and constructive member of a team
- Knowledge of and experience in securely archiving data; experience in curating materials for different audiences (e.g. for digital platforms or museums)
- Strong analytical skills to understand a complex culture and a multitude of conflict lines
- Fluency in English language and willingness to learn Nepali language (knowledge of Nepali language will be an asset)
- In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union
- Place of residence: Kathmandu
- Climate: Hot summers and cold winters
- Healthcare: Hospitals with international doctors available
- Supply and shopping facilities: Supermarkets with all necessities for daily life
- Accessibility: Kathmandu has one international airport with daily flights out of the country
- Children / infants: Nannies and kindergartens available
- School situation and school fees: International schools available; school fees are reimbursed according GIZ rules
- Security: The security situation requires increased alertness. There are special security risk mitigation measures applying to GIZ staff on-site. All staff must follow GIZ security instructions at any time. Please also read up on county-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
- Other: Nepal is an especially earthquake prone area.
At the site of operation the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures.
Frequent and many field trips to different remoter parts of Nepal are necessary and accommodation can sometimes be basic.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience.
In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation.
The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
+49 (0) 6196 79 3200
Humanitarian aid, Peace development, crisis prevention
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]