Peacebuilding Advisor (m/f/d) for Victims‘ Participation in Transitional Justice in Dohuk, Kurdistan Region, Iraq
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The Civil Peace Service (ZFD) is a program for the promotion of non-violent conflict resolution around the world. In Iraq, ZFD is dealing with the crimes against humanity committed by the so-called „Islamic State“ (IS) against the Yezidi and members (m/f/d) of other ethnic and religious groups. Until now the Government of Iraq is only allowing trials concerning terrorism – which often end with a death sentence for the accused. In order to contribute to reconciliation and a safe return of hundreds of thousands of refugees the ZFD is supporting survivors of IS crimes in finding justice. More than 2.000 survivors and family members have laid down their testimonies at the “Commission for Investigation and Gathering Evidence”, a partner organization of ZFD in Kurdistan. They want to know when the mass graves will be opened, and victims can be identified.
Giving advice to the “Commission for Investigation and Gathering Evidence” (CIGE) by:
- Analyzing CIGE's services to survivors on the basis of international legal standards and psychosocial good practice and making recommendations for improvement
- Developing a concept for CIGE’s communication with survivors, partners as well as the broader Iraqi and international public
- Conducting a capacity needs assessment of CIGE’s staff and other relevant partners and seeking convenient solutions in this matter
- Supporting CIGE’s networking with multi-national, governmental and civil society partners inside and outside of Iraq
- Graduate (Master level or equivalent) in international law or political/social sciences or similar subjects followed by a related professional career
- Substantial experience in the delivery of legal and/or psychosocial services for victims of general or gender based violence as well as serious human rights violations
- Capacities in the facilitation of organizational change processes and knowledge in participatory methods
- Profound understanding of modern techniques of public relations
- Working and living experience in the Middle East if possible
- Fluency in spoken and written English, working knowledge of Arabic or Kurdish or willingness to learn Arabic; working knowledge of German is an asset
- Ability to live and work in a context of violent conflicts
- Strong gift to motivate people and to be creative, especially in developing concepts
- Team orientation, patience and resilience
- Place of Residence: Dohuk, Kurdistan Region, Iraq
- Climate: Very hot summers, cold winters
- Healthcare: Good basic medical services, evacuation if necessary
- Supply and shopping facilities: Shopping possibilities according to European standards
- Accessibility: Daily international flight connections
- Children/infants, school situation: Deployment without family, reduced mobility due to security reasons
- Pollution: At the site of operation the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures
- Security: The security situation is acutely tense.The situation requires constant monitoring and special security risk mitigation measures for GIZ staff. All staff must follow GIZ security instructions at any time. Please also read up on county-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
Indemnity allowance and three Rest and Recreation (R&R) phases per year according to GIZ regulations (CTO-compensated time off regulations)
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience.
In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation.
The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the Entwicklungshelfergesetz (EhfG).
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
Humanitarian aid, Peace development, crisis prevention
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Umfassendes Know-how für nachhaltige Entwicklung Eine ausgewiesene Regionalexpertise, hohe Fachkompetenz und praxiserprobtes Managementwissen bilden das Rückgrat der Leistungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützen wir die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen; weltweit aktiv sind wir außerdem…[mehr]